When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Work - On the move again

fraggle42

Well, decided enough is enough.

Just one guy to blame. Was bought in as a team leader and is now development manager.

He can manage the systems and build servers just fine, but he can't manage people to save himself, and is an egotistical [censored].

Enforces his ideas about design in everyone, to the extent there's no real point in designing anything yourself as he'll tell you how he would do it, and that's how we should do it.

Condescending and argumentative with everyone he manages, sucks [censored] to his managers.

Been here for 7 years now, and had big rows multiple times, handed in resignation once but was persuaded to stay.

This guy always says he knows he has shortcomings and improves for a month, and goes right back.

Has no intention to change, no intention to be a better manager, so screw it. Upper management bought him in and promoted him and I've told them the problems, nothing is done.

Time to move on.

Tempted to go back to IT contractor again, I know I'm easily good enough, just got to see if the market has picked up from what it was in 2001, and what the self employ / IR35 situation is now.

Or if I can find a good permanent senior position I'll happily move for it too, but got to be for an excellent company and not working under a similar WOS to what I am experiencing now.

Odd post for a watch forum, I know, but lately this situation has been seriously affecting my sleep and health, so, put pen to paper, commit to the plan and move on.

Watch related is that I may have to liquidate my collection if I go the self employed route, to tide me over if I have a gap between client contracts! One of the downsides of contract work :)

Good for you mate !!

Really know the Feeling myself

If it aint gonna work it aint gonna work

So many People sit in a job They hate and ruin their lives and be miserable

Did the same many years ago had to hear how stupid i was bla bla bla but hell because i had the balls to leave i became a pilot never looked back since

If you for Any rolex :D hit me up ;) but hopefully it wont come to that :D

• Like 1

Here's my reality check.

Unless you own your own company you always run the risk of having a bad boss, and when you own your own company you run the risk of having a bad customer (which pays the bills). Bottom line is you are going to have to learn to deal with either variety, as they will continue to come in and out of your life.

I would certainly never tell anyone they have to stay in a bad spot, but before you make a move, always remember your next stop could be worse. The grass isn't always greener, so to speak.

I've owned my own consulting business for the last seven years, and have been lucky recently by having long term clients who are easy to deal with. Wasn't always that way, and my health and mental state weren't always that great when I was between gigs. The stress of not knowing when/if your next payday is going to come is not for everyone. Make sure you have plenty of money put away before you make that leap. Not sure how it is where you are, but the market for consultants has definitely picked up on this side of the pond. Many companies here in the US are ditching full time staff because of the healthcare law, and are outsourcing work either to individuals or third-party vendors.

The company I am running now has eliminated all of its IT staff and relies solely on a local shop to manage its office infrastructure, and a development house managed locally that uses a combination of US, Indian and Chinese developers. They can spin up teams whenever needed and drop them off at the end of projects. Saves a ton of money over maintaining an in-house IT staff. I think it's a great business model if you know your way around outsourcing and can find the right talent.

Edited by tomhorn

Hi Fraggle,

Know how you feel, in IT as well, its not the industry it used to be. Although depending on your sector the contract market is still buoyant and has recovered from the blip around 2008 so you may be pleasantly surprised.

As someone has already said, Linkedin is pretty good resource, if your Profile is "word" rich you should get some invitations from Recruiters.

Really hope you don't have to liquidate your collection.

Regards

Mark

Thanks all,

I was an IT contractor from 1999 until a bad bike accident in 2001, still kept the company going for another 2 years managing a big project from home, but due to my leg taking 4+ years to heal I had to fold the company, and after it eventually healed I wasn't fit enough to commute to clients by bike. (I am now)

So I'm used to working for myself and the ins and outs of IT contract work - I enjoyed it :) The one huge bonus from being an IT contractor is of course you don't have to put up with any of the company management BS, and if the place is bad, well, you're usually on a 3 or 6 month contract so you know you're finished there soon.

Stuck with this bad manager, I've been trying to "manage" the manager for 7 years now, dropping hints left, right and centre on how to manage people effectively, had the odd argument and also meetings with the senior management but they don't seem to realise how bad he is, or don't care. He's in charge of 4 developers and has very little, if any, respect from any of us. The company isn't big enough to move to a different manager, the other two are test and customer support neither of which are my thing.

Hey ho, one of those things. Onwards and upwards!

Andy, thank you my friend, I will be updating my resume tomorrow and will get it over to you ASAP.

Best thing o ever did was contract Frag, make way more money, if you have a good accountant, even more so! With your skills you could pick and choose where you would like to work, trust me, people will be desperate to take you on!

Also means if you don't like the action where you're working, find another and off you go!

• Like 1