When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai p.4000 movement with micro rotor

OmegaPOFL

I have worn a few Universal Geneve Polerouters with micro rotors and they were not very efficient winders because the rotor is so small. Have also worn micro rotor Bulova Ambassadors and Hamilton Thin-O-Matics and the story was the same. Maybe with a 45mm case this one has a rotor big enough to do the job but building up 3 days reserve with a micro rotor seems a bit optimistic to me.

Maybe you wind it enough for 3 days to start with and wearing the watch daily keeps it topped off.   :animal_rooster:

I do not like to throw a damper on things but I've become immune to swiss BS over the years. This seems to be a case where what has gone before did not work so they are trying it again on a new audience.

Time will tell...  :fish:

Probably with the wall clocks around our wrists these days a micro rotor can be reconsidered. After all automatic watches were 33mm and smaller a few decades ago.

I do not like to throw a damper on things but I've become immune to swiss BS over the years. This seems to be a case where what has gone before did not work so they are trying it again on a new audience.

I think the main reason for the micro-rotor resurgence (from high-dollar brands like Patek and ALS) is aesthetics.  Everyone has an exhibition caseback these days, and it just won't do to have half the movement obscured for even a moment!

Sad to see efficiency sacrificed for looks, but as with IWC ditching the Ingenieur's antimagnetic properties in favor of a sapphire caseback, it's in line with watches becoming jewelry more than anything else.

• 1 year later...

I've tried this watch on at an AD and it is simply stunning.  Presumably at least in part because of the micro rotor they were able to decrease the thickness of the watch to 12mm which makes all the difference in the world in terms of being an even more refined dress watch.  I do love me some beefy Panerai watches but in terms of pure class this watch absolutely takes the cake.

If this were ever repped reliably I would not hesitate to purchase it .. as it is that $7,500 gen price tag is looking almost reachable.