When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Black Bay: Gilt-on-Blue Switcheroo

lhooq

i-Jct6cSc-X3.jpg

As projects go, this one was pretty straightforward.  It all started in July, not long after it was announced that "the factories" had tweaked their superlative Black Bay rep and created a blue version to match the one announced at Baselworld this past spring.  Honestly, I've never been that interested in the Black Bay, since I saw it as a mish-mash of confused historical influences.  Snowflake hands on a rose dial?  And what's with that colored crown tube?  

But you do grow fonder of some things over time.  It helped to have tried on the gen a few times, as did seeing cyberwarhol's rep up close during a GTG some months back.  And, yes, the palette shift from burgundy to royal blue did much to change my mind.  I'd had my fingers crossed for a blue Pelagos (still do), but this was the next big thing.  

So there I was in mid-July, looking at QC pics that highoeyazmuhudee had posted for an upcoming delivery.  They looked terrific, in my opinion, but I've long favored the blue/gilt combo on Submariners.  Why, just take a look at the fantastic 5512 that ChiMan built for me so many years ago, and that I still wear regularly.  I quote myself: "I would love to see the blue Black Bay with gilt hands/dial.  Now who can I convince to take one in red and silver?"  To which sneed12 replied, "If you're serious I'll swap with you."  

Having set some funds aside for a rather pricey Fifty Fathoms, I really didn't need to spend another few hundred bucks on another rep.  However, opportunities like this don't come up every day, and I really wanted to see how this thing would look!  I PM'd S and let him take care of the ordering and assembly.  There were several delays.  First, the seller was about to send two Black Bays in the wrong colors; add a few days.  Then the clasp of one of them broke, requiring sneed to drill out a link and rebuild the clasp. 

At this point, the movement swap was made:
i-qPKdK7C-X3.jpg

Add a few weeks, as he had to order new drill bits, but eventually it was all done:
i-9v7NTkq-X3.jpg

Easy-peasy, I suppose!  

You've all read enough about the Black Bay rep, so I won't be making a full review.  I think the gilt dial/hands against the blue bezel and tube look amazing, so full marks to me and my vision!  Similarly, I'm sure S is enjoying the Canadian colours on his Black Bay.  I will note that the BB feels a lot bigger and much heavier than I'd expected--and that's saying something, considering how I've grown used to the heft of the Fifty Fathoms!  Right now, it looks like it could be a go-anywhere, do-anything diver, but let's see if it has as much staying power on my wrist as my beloved 4-liner.

Old and new:
i-pjM9p2N-X3.jpg
i-GvVPfBk-X3.jpg

Of course, I couldn't help but see how it looks on Tropic rubber:
i-sjgcpvx-X3.jpg

Big thanks to sneed12!

:elvis:

• Like 3