When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just in.....1675 modded

tframo

Hey guys. I just got this in from a m2m deal on RWI.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=197056

I think I got a good deal on it but now I want to take it to the next level. I want to upgrade the movement, gen bezel insert and maybe assembly?

I'm not an expert on these so I am appealing to the great minds here for guidance as to if its worth taking to the next level and what upgrades you would make first

I spent $600 for the watch and I had a yuki oyster 93153 in the parts box which looks pretty good I think

(The gen jubilee in some of the pictures was picked up on ebay for $250 but I think I'm sending it back because I belive it was for a Datejust as endlinks and bracelt will not fit gen spec soring bars....., would you keep it anyway??)

Thanks for the guidance.

Tony

post-48269-0-84575900-1413651819_thumb.j

post-48269-0-56414600-1413651829_thumb.j

post-48269-0-43903000-1413651839_thumb.j

post-48269-0-44923000-1413651854_thumb.j

post-48269-0-08395600-1413652030_thumb.j

The gen jubilee in some of the pictures was picked up on ebay for $250 but I think I'm sending it back because I belive it was for a Datejust as endlinks and bracelt will not fit gen spec soring bars....., would you keep it anyway??)

Tony, I'm a little confused about this!

I don't see it in the pictures.

Hey T

Very nice piece. Case mods look good.

No expert, but we put gen 555b end links on my cartel case and I think the look and fit nice. I love these old jubs. So light and comfortable and easy to wear.

dec68f217121dd2615fd076f0246986c.jpg

3651b55fea8b3a92d8771ae0dcd181a0.jpg

Gen insert is a must.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Gen spec aftermarket bezel assy so insert snapped right in. Matt did the assembly but that part went well. Now fitting the assembly over the gen crystal....not so much. Bezel does rotate but is a little tight on the turn between 3 and 9.

Matt had the bezel assembly. Not gen they are serious $ and hard to find. I looked but with the $ I had into this build it would have put it into buying a whole gen watch money...

We are not sure of the maker, Matt had it in his parts. I know people have used wso bezels with gen inserts on these builds. Easy to source on eBay and reasonable $. Others with more knowledge can maybe provide other options.

I do know my gen insert would not fit the cartel assembly correctly nor over the crystal.

We got lucky that Matt had this assembly and it worked with the case and parts.

Ok, here is the view from the devil's advocate. First off, the crown is way too big. The 1675 used a 5.3 mm crown. Yours is either a 6mm or 7mm. I have a gen 16750, which is basically the 1675 with a quickset movement. The end links on the 16750 are 580's. The bracelet is a 78360. The early 1675's came with either 7836 bracelets or Jubilee's so the jubilee is correct. If you go over to the Rolex forum, there is a sticky "bracelet and endlink guide" it lists all the models and the correct bracelet/endlink combinations.

The 1675 is a difficult mod, primarily because all the rep cases use the bigger crowns and when you replace them with the correct crown, the gap between the crown and the crown guards is a giveaway.

Here is my 16750

3fad880ec21a7c34136b29eaea8ffb4e.jpg

388ef0ff7b9faf964c3830fa78ddbba7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if you guys were to buy a gen rolex would you get a 1675, 5513, 16610 ? Or something else?

I think I'm coming to the crossroads of wanting a gen..

Budget wise, I'm limited.

I owned a 1680 (White), my favorite, together with some other Rolex.

The only gen Rolex I kept is the 16610.

I would recommend you find one of the last lug holed ones ;-)

I'm lucky to have found the "rare" dial with SWISS and the flat S !

My16610Gen_800_01.jpg

My16610Gen_800_01B.jpg

My16610Gen_800_13.jpg

My16610Gen_800_11.jpg

My16610Gen_800_03.jpg

My16610Gen_800_03C.jpg

• Like 1

Hi T,  

Here is a good fact finder on GMT's http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-master_ref_16750.html

Pan153 helped my a bunch on my build and he is correct.  I tried both a 5.3 and a 6.0 mm crown and we liked the way the way the 6 looked better.  The case is designed for a 6.0 and then the cg's were modded by RA which increased the gap slightly so a 5.3 didn't look right on my case.

I am no expert but did do a lot of research on this build.  The aftermarket case options are this issue with these builds.  We stacked a phong, a yuki, my modded cartel up with a gen to do a comparison and there is no comparison.  It is hard to realize how elegant and thin the gen 1675/16750 case set is until you see it stacked up.  Even the high priced aftermarket cases are way, and I mean way too thick.  The advantage of using a phong or yuki is the cg's are proper for a 5.3 crown, but they still need mods to be thinner.  I love my 16750 and the process while frustrating at times was enjoyable and a good learning experience.  In the end you just have to figure out what flaws you can live with.  If I had to do it over again, I would buy a gen, but there was value in the process as I learned much and it will serve me on future builds.  Oh and FYI, these builds can be money pits.....

I think Matt used 1.8 spring bars on mine because he did not have any 2mm.  To be honest I have not thought about changing them, but maybe this afternoon, I will see if the 2mm works with my end links.  

Depends on the year for the GMT hand, that link will give you the information.  Many of the small gmt hands were changed out by Rolex at service anyways, so it is pretty much whatever you prefer depending on the year/model you are trying to replicate. 

As for a gen, I am searching for a 1966 5513 gilt everyday.....but a 1675 would be great too.  I have a TC 16610 and I like it enough so personally I would not buy that model.  I do have the vintage bug though so I am kinda nuts these days....