When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Member, Question about First replica purchase

chad3909

High Everyone,

I'm glad I found this forum, I've already learned a lot by reading your posts.  I'm looking at buying a Rolex Milgauss from Andrew at Trusty.  I found him through reading posts on here btw.  Anyhow, I'm looking for advice on which movement to select.  There are three options.  An 2813 Asian movement for $168, an 2836 Asian movement upgraded to look like Rolex movement for 258, and a 2836 Swiss ETA movement where, according to Andrew, the rotor and bridge are replaced with asian parts to look like Rolex parts and it costs $348.   

I really don't care about what the watch looks like inside, I'm concerned with reliability and being able to have it serviced.  Does anyone here bought any of these milgauss models and have any thoughts?  Any recommendations on the movemenet?  Thanks in advance for your help everyone!  -Chad

Chad - welcome to the forum and to the madness that is reps! :partytime:

The basic differences between the movements is:

2813 - aka 21j - are considered good movements, will hold up for years of service. Are not considered to be serviceable, cheap enough to just buy a new movemnt if something goes wrong. About $20-30

Asian 28xx - aka a28xx - Chinese clones of the Swiss ETA movements that have the same number. Is serviceable, and consided to be about on part with the base ETA movements after they are serviced. If getting one of these movements and you wish to keep the watch for the long haul you should get it serviced as they usually come in various states of dry/dirty from the factory.

Swiss ETA 28xx - the real deal, good quality swiss movement and of course serviceable. However, the reps we get are often listed as swiss movements but of late have been mostly Chinese clones that they are trying to pass off as swiss. Buyer beware, probably not swiss.

Also, these movements that are modified to look like the Rolex movements are of course not even close and some reports state that they have more problems than the un-modified movement.

Jpz,

Thanks for the informative reply! I was suspecting the same thing. How would u know if it was really Swiss made or not. Even the Asian eta is modified to look like Rolex. I wander if that degrades it as well. I could care less what the movement looks like. I wish I could just buy an unmodified movement. Still not sure what to go wish. Leaning toward the Asian eta.

Hi Chad

Welcome to the forum.

Good question. If I am looking for a certain piece I usually search several of the trusted dealers looking for the undecorated a28xx. Heard about to many issues with the fancy decorated versions and last couple of attempts to get Swiss resulted in a28xx anyways so if I really want a Swiss eta I would get cheapest movement from the dealer and swap the movement myself. Recently I was after the noob explorer ii 216750 with basic a2836 and only one dealer had that model with that movement. Everyone else had the "Rolex" 31xx movement for about $200 more. Most of the dealers carry the same watches but sometimes with different movement options.

Good luck and welcome to the madness:)

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Hey Droptop!  Thanks for the reply and the info.  Some very good points there.  I thought I had found gold when I went to Josh's site because he had an a2836 movement watch that was not modified to look like Rolex and it was $100 less.  Well after I messaged him, I learned that was his old site.  He directed me to his new site, and it was the exact same pieces as the trusty site.  Looks like maybe they are one in the same dealer.  In any case, the only option is the rolex appearance modified ones.  Bummer!  Any suggestions on another supplier that used unmodified movements?  Thanks again. 

Hi, give Torobravos a try, he has the Noob version A2813 for $138 and undecorated Asian eta for $238 and is a reliable TD. Price has a role in this because visually it´s the same, the Asian ETA seconds hand moves (a tiny bit) smoother and is more agreeable on the wrist (rotor swing) - but at the price of the 2813 You could (should) almost choose a second watch in the same order.

Welcome to the forum !

Please consider that servicing a rep is a pain in the ass.

Most of the watchmakers won't touch it cause they could loose their license with the genuine brands.
That said, if you live in a big city maybe you will find one.

As others said: if you don't care about the inside and just want a nice watch, go cheap.

It will probably fail at a point but then replacing the movement is very cheap.

If you prefer peace of mind, go for Eta and it will last forever (if you have it serviced from time to time).

By the way, about servicing, opinions differ.

Some say it should be done as often as every other year, some say service should only happen when something goes wrong.
As usual, the truth is probably in between.

Most of my reps and gens were not serviced these last 5-6 years and they run fine.

Hope this helps,

Cheers
Stephane

The for the insight Stephane.  Some good points there.  I looked at toro's website and there are only two options for the blue milgauss.  One is made by noob and has an a2836-2 movement for $268.  The other is made by J12 and has a2824 movement for $348.  Which movement is better?  Are watches made by J12 a better quality?  I hope I don't wear out my welcome asking follow up questions.  You guys are great.  -Chad

Which movement is better?

See my post above on the topic. It's like asking which car is better, Chevy Malibu or Chevy Impala, depends on your application. 2824 is meant for day and the 2836 is meant for day/date complications. Stem hight is a bit different but other than that both share many of the same parts and are of same quality. Rep makers would choose one over the other for this reason, for example Rolex sub reps (16610) look better with the 2824 because it puts stem height in the middle of the case vs the 2836.

Are watches made by J12 a better quality?

J12 and Noobs are two different makers, both are considered by some to be better quality than the cheap street market reps. Which of the two are better is a matter of personal preference, this is like asking which is better Lexus or Infinity. Either makers have their flaws on any particular model that they sell, choose your preferred maker and go with it. I prefer Noob, others prefer another. Calling the maker out by name is a way of the rep business trying to build brands and thus brand loyalty.

I hope I don't wear out my welcome asking follow up questions. You guys are great. -Chad

No worries, it's all part of the learning process, Just don't ask who has the best sub....

:bangin:

Good feedback from jpz. Your are asking valid questions but ones that are difficult to answer. I also prefer noob because I have had good experience with them. However I have never bought a j 12 so nothing to compare.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

So much to consider, and at $300+ its quite an investment.  Guess I just want to get the best for my dollar.  Since the movements are comparable, I wander why the J12 watch is $80 more.  Is it made $80 worth better?  I think the hardest part is not being able to hold them in your hand side by side.  Buying a rep online is like buying clothes or shoes online.