When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Planet Ocean UPO. Damn this hobby is nerve wracking!

danza1812

I'm in the process of building another Franken UPO with the intention of keeping this one for good. So I want it to be pretty perfect.

I managed to buy a part built one with gen date wheel, dial and hands already fitted.

I thought id have a bash at the other mods myself. So I got the gen black bezel, and fitted the entire bezel assembly rather than just the insert. I also installed a Crpo crystal and gen crown and tube.

Had some issues with the crown and tube, first the stem length was too short on the gen crown, when I sorted that with a longer stem, the pressure from the crown when screwed on was able to lift the tube back out of the case, the JB weld hadnt set strong enough. So I've reset the tube again.

Fingers and toes are crossed hoping all I have to do tomorrow is re insert the crown stem and voila!

Anyway here's a quick couple of shots.

0EC2CC59-2DBF-41A6-979A-66C95E00703E.jpg

AB67FDA6-7E6B-4002-8337-CC4A69A056DA.jpg

F6D9D9B2-7A4A-45E9-A257-21E1D13B87EC.jpg

Think about the geometry for a moment. What exactly is pulling the tube out? I can think of two things:

1) the stem is too long so screwing in the crown is pushing in the stem, and it bottoms out in the movement, applying an outward force on the stem/crown/tube. Or...

2) the crown is too "wide" or the tube is too "short" so screwing the crown completely down has the crown hitting the case. IMO the crown should compress its o-ring and bottom out there, just shy of touching the case. In that configuration there is nothing applying an outward force on the tube.

Hope those ideas help?

Thanks, when I screwed the crown down it didn't go all the way down to sit flush on the case. There is a tiny .5mm lip on the tube where it meets the case and this remains exposed when I screw the crown down. It is very tight to push the crown in, so maybe the stem is a fraction too long.

This thing is cursed!

In trying to release the stem from the crown it snapped inside the crown and I now have a useless crown!

I will order a 20mm ETA stem and new gen crown from cousins and hope it's a straight fit without need to trim. Anyone got any info on this from previous mods? Any help much appreciated at this frustrating time!!

A suggestion that may solve your problem. Take the tube out and clean up the hole in the case real good. Once cleaned thread the hole in the case with a tap. The threads in the case and the threads on the tube will not match however it will create more surface area and more of a mechanical bond if you will for the JB Weld. Right now the JB is locking around the threads on the tube bit the case is just a smooth surface. If you thread it with a coarse thread pattern the JB will lock into the threads on the case as well creating a much stronger bond.