When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Daytonas, which can you recommend?

Champagnesky

I think in general they are OK, but they fall over when put "under the microscope" If you are not going to do that then they are fine. What do we mean by "under the microscope"? well, the first thing is the position of the subdial at 6. It is of course fixed (faux) and does not move but worse still it is in the wrong position (too low) for no good reason at all. Next are the dials, ROLEX font is off, serifs on markers and "daytona" are missing, lume dots are very slightly incorrect, too far away from the minute track, the coronet is slightly the wrong shape. Hands are slightly too wide, we could go on BUT we are talking minor things here, things that nobody other than fanatics will be concerned about. For better accuracy, i.e. better side by side accuracy with a gen, you will need after market parts (of which there are not many options, so very often you have to go gen) which add up to a lot of money and "pain" real quickly.

So the answer is IT DEPENDS, on just how accurate you need your rep to be. My opinion is get a Cartel if you need to feed your desire for a vintage Daytona, wear it, no worries. Then save up and start hoarding parts ! :-)

Hmm interesting. How is the DW in comparison?

While we're here here....anyone got a Nice DW Paul Newman dial (7753) they want to sell ;)

I have an old DW gold Newman 7750 (with auto-wind module removed) that has been sitting in a parts cup on a shelf for the past 2 years that I might be willing to sell. Although it was running before I sold the case, it should be overhauled as I cannot guarantee anything. It would come with what you see in the pic. PM if interested.

post-3175-0-25595200-1415669972_thumb.jp

I have an old DW gold Newman 7750 (with auto-wind module removed) that has been sitting in a parts cup on a shelf for the past 2 years that I might be willing to sell. Although it was running before I sold the case, it should be overhauled as I cannot guarantee anything. It would come with what you see in the pic. PM if interested.

Thanks freddy, it's something more of the 6241 non oyster etc. i'm looking for but I appreciate it...cheers & that is a nice dial ;)

• 4 weeks later...