When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Vintage Daytona 6263 waiting game

WCM21_88

My post today was mostly inspired by member ogladio's post in the general discussions area and what seemed to be a newer member BIG interest in Vintage Daytonas. As some of us that have been here a little while know, which I myself haven't and am still learning with every visit, the Vintage Daytona is a loooong and irritating process. The 6263 for what ever reason has just always had an impression on me that won't go away and won't until it's perfect. I've been apart of the forum now for almost two years and enjoy every part of it, big THANK YOU to RWG for making that possible, as most I'm sure it's a little escape and part of a passion. To make a long story short this 6263 desire of mine is still on going and will continue to the end. The veterans of the forum to name a few.. sorry if I leave anyone out, Freddy333, donerix, Ihooq, Wiesn089, Dieselpower have been my source of inspiration through their posts and images of some of their Daytona's. For the newer guys seeking this Grail of a watch as it is mine.. Yes although a simple watch, the one thing I can advise is that patience is a virtue with this one. The end result will be much much more appreciated and cherishable. Now to quote ogladio "As threads are worthless without pics" here's my progress so far with my on going 6263 build...

Cheers,

-Will

377f96f2b53fc545144b0f1f080e5748.jpg

6709061b096c7b1b47529542470eaea8.jpg

3af1e918b11d5f86258e15e6c72c3093.jpg

ff1dd985a6d14bb95cdc3dd545bf3b3f.jpg

89497116fa677ccc5ab7575b29c5777f.jpg

0382d9d6ec29c0b8ddaedc1b1e81b596.jpg

a69629e71566090a1cd502b3ffabe940.jpg

2db6136f7ce93c8276b4f2ab7b300d2d.jpg

e9d78fe2530d02de3a2c022e1b202ea4.jpg

35678288bc8c30eaf11f53014b32a85b.jpg

a3bd55ce11b0b00fff9598673818d2d8.jpg

a9b19d74a032dfdfbac3240057a21fd5.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks droptopman for the kind words, as for the dial I sprayed it with a matte finish and replaced the coronet with a gen, talk about a pain in the [censored] lol, but not a gen dial I believe.

DW Case

Dial- unknown?? copped it off the bay replaced the coronet with a Gen. good Singer stamp on the back good print over all a decent probably "rep" dial though I'm happy with it

Crown- Gen

pushers- Borghi &Turrini (Gen spec)

Hands- still looking lol

Movement- now this is mainly where I'm stuck, I have a DW 7750 that I'm in the process of changing into a manual wind still, but have been told my case can fit a V72 also so I"m torn between the two as originally this was just gonna be a mid-level build you know

-Will

Thanks for the info.

I know that road. Starts as a moderate budget built. Then...maybe a gen insert, then a crown, a crystal and next thing you know might as well find a gen dial. The Valjoux movement would be cool. I need to do much research on these before even thinking about trying to do a high end build.

Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

I believe that your dial will determine your movement, as the 7750 and V72 dials are not interchangeable. Subdial spacing is different. Great start for a nice build. Put your dial on the movement and see if the subdial pinions hit the middle of the openings. If not you have an v72 dial. If they fit you will have to stick with the 7750 if you want to use that dial.

+1, the dial feet should also be an indicator of what movement the dial is made for. If v72, then as you may know, also v23/mystery/cartel movement fit the subdial pinions (w limited functionality).

Personally like your dial. Subdial printing looks off to me, but the gen coronet is a great addition and red is always red you know! Wish you all the best with this project btw - as others have mentioned - keep an eye on your bank account ;)

That dial is for a V72. Sorry, but if you want to use it you'll have to get your wallet out again! I've found it almost impossible to find a good quality 7750 compatible dial. I must admit I've not given it quite the determination I should because I have a fairly decent EE dial already but I'd like a better one. Anybody got any suggestions? Good luck with the build by the way  :)

Thank you all for your input! So as I'm sure some have probably guessed lol this project is still gonna be awhile before it's finished. Somewhere some how I goofed up my dials and thought that my black 6263 dial was a 7750/MM/Venus 75 dial...

354935f856353e50d7d09c0f578fc310.jpg

Panda- Venus75/Cartel Movement

Black- Valjoux 72

Where as @Dieselpower has pointed out and is completely correct, the dial is for a V72. As I said this "project" was going to originally be just a lower end budget of a build... But as many here know lol that hasn't been the case. I do however have two Cartel 6263's that I'm thinking I'll probably just continue on a path like member @Akira had done to his Cartels, which in my eyes is still a beauty,

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/171800-rolex-6265-the-cartel-daytona-revised/?fromsearch=1

Hats off to @Akira. But I won't give up!! As for a Valjoux 72 Daytona I'll own one eventually, it's the build, time, work and effort I'm after at the moment that goes into wearing something you worked on yourself. However I did have one question for anyone who might know a thing or two about DW's 7750 movements. Does his movement take a standard 7750 winding stem? I bought a 7750 stem off of the bay for a couple of bucks and for whatever reason does not work properly?? Am I doing something wrong? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

-Will