When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Problems with PureTime credit cards?

porschespeedster

Made an order for a bit over $700 last week with PureTime.

This weekend they sent me an email saying they're having problems with their credit card/debit card system...

They told me they will refund my $$$, then I should instead send them $$$ via WU.

Yet 4 biz days later, my charge for over $700 still shows up on the negative column in my bank statements.

I'm not doing anything crazy...they are a TD and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt for a couple days...but...

Anyone ever have this issue with PT?

I've never ordered with them before.

How long has it been since the money was supposed to be transferred back to you? Reason I'm asking, most banks don't work on weekends, so if they  sent the money last Friday, it may not have gone out until yesterday (Monday). I'm not familiar with the system in play here, but my bank takes 3-4 days for and International wire transfer to go from my account to an account in Europe.

Another question, I don't understand why they are returning the money ? If they got it from you  and it got to them, why return it? I would suspect that if the money is tied up by their credit card company, they aren't going to refund you, at least not until the money is released, and then again, if they have your money, why not just send the watch? If they don't get the money from their credit/debit card company due to some reason, It would seem to me that they would tell you, "we never actually got the money, as it was held up by our bank and you need to contact your financial institution and have them reverse the transaction, as the money was never actually transferred to us"

I believe that I would alert my bank to let them know that the transaction was never completed. At least this would get you on record as having reported a potential problem. It's not like you are opening a dispute, you just don't want the deal to slip through the cracks.    

^^^ These are my questions as well.

I have Bank of America, and they say both in person at a bank branch + on their computers that both transactions

(one for the principal, one for an international transaction fee charge) have been completed and received by the seller.

Why refund when it went through?

What's going on?

Still no response from them.

Hi again, from what I read on the other forum they are refunding several CC payments. Imo it´s ok to wait for the time being. If something goes wrong or the full amount is not refunded You always have the option to contact the Boss and he will sort it out. As said above more than a week is considered normal by PT.

citation on motives etc.:"we refunded your payment because the payment processor told us the payment was suspicious and they asked us to take our own risk to ship the products. We have lost hundreds of thousands of dollars by credit card scams in the past so we could not take the risk.

We lose 7% for refunds, the China CC processor isnt like PP, when you refund and the service charge is also refunded, but the 7% service charge is not refundable (we have to pay them), so refund is the last thing we want to do, we only do what we have to."

Interesting point about the 7% CC fee. I wonder if their margins are getting tighter and they are using this as some sort of ruse to get folks to use WU rather than CC's. Having said that, why not just tell folks up front, out CC fees are onerous and we can't afford to accept them anymore.

I suppose that the fear of chargebacks is always present as well. Who knows,. someone buys a couple of watches, maybe he isn't too happy with them, tries to get a refund or a better deal, dealer refuses, buyer contacts his CC company and initiates a complaint, usually the CC company will stand by the customer, especially if he says he didn't get what he ordered, he never got the items, they were broken, he ordered a genuine  watch and received a rep instead. Unfortunately, the world is filled with folks who are either out and out crooks, or they are the kind that are too impatient to let a problem resolve, but either way, they start something and the dealer over in China gets screwed. In most cases, if the CC company here thinks the deal smells, they will contact the buyer before they approve the transaction. I have had this happen several times, the CC Fraud department will call and ask if I know the recipient, have I done business with them before, etc. I believe that what they are doing is covering their butts in case the deal turns south, they can always say" Hey, we called you and you assured us that this was a legitimate transaction and you were familiar with the seller".

Hopefully this will get worked out soon to everyone's satisfaction.     

Has anyone here been collecting reps for over 10 years?

My first rep was a Seamaster from Eddie Lee, from about 12 years ago and I honestly don't remember in what form I sent him the money.

I do remember talking to TTK Neil, and him telling me that some of his customers send cash through the mail.

Now dealers accept CC, wild.

Sorry to take this off topic a bit.

Sure, there are a fair number of us who were on the old RWG and TRC before the "new" RWG came about. Like you, I bought watches back around 2000 from Eddie Lee, Whatever that guy's name who had all the "Crazy Sales" I went back and looked through my watch photos, it looks like the earliest photos I have of reps are from January 2004, however I know from those photos, they were not the first reps I bought. I can't remember when I started using PayPal as soon as it was available. I registered with Ebay in 1999, and I believe it started taking PayPal payments shortly thereafter. Never used cash through the mail, did use  a credit card on a few early transactions and also used WU a few times, but I tried to use WU as little as possible because of it's high fees and lack of recourse if a deal goes bad.