When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best smp case for a Franken

danza1812

So im planning on an smp Franken. If I scratch my smp itch with a cheaper Franken it will hopefully allow me to save for my gen rolex Grail.

I know a closed factory is out of the question pretty much these days. So what's next?

What's the next best rep case? I plan to install a 2824, gen dial, hands and bezel. Maybe a crown and tube at some stage too.

Any help or a point one right direction would be great.

Matt

Closed factory reps do come up M2M, personally I'd keep an eye there. Otherwise most of the reps seem to have the HEV in the wrong position. Sorry, I can't be of any real help.

In the U.K. even old 2531 models are around £1200. Like I said I just want a beater Franken to stop me spending that £1200 which is a third of my rolex sub Grail!

I have sourced a gen dial and bezel for less than £100. I've got a case heading my way that cost £40 but not sure if it's right yet.

So all I need is hands and a movement maybe another £100 and I have a great Franken beater for under £250. Allowing me to save for the gen sub.

Mclarendude built this one on a 007 base watch. Not the best crown guards or He valve location, but it makes for a quite convincing and very economical franken. I picked this up from him for around the cost of a new rep:

614367aafbd04bcdb00584c963eb0885.jpg

Gen dial, bezel+insert, hands, datewheel, and crown+tube (not yet installed). I would recommend not going overboard on the costs sunk into your franken, as a decent gen SMP can be found for a little over a grand.

I have on its way an Asian movement 007 40th anniversary. Which has similar he valve position and ok looking crown guards. I'm just worried that as a cheap rep it may not fit gen parts.

My first plan was just pop in an eta 2824 movement hopefully and have a piece very similar to yours. Yours looks great. Just what I'm trying to achieve actually.

This is the case I have on the way. I plan on putting in the dial, hands, crystal and bezel I've already got and an ETA 2824 movement with correct Datewheel.

3303D9ED-03BF-472A-9F4C-1214C61D2E3D.jpg19AA3D45-7211-439A-B6EB-9230DB2F972B.jpg

Edited by danza1812