When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC portuguese chrono bezel disappearing

stpaul

Hi bros. any advice or help for my franken iwc? just serviced it and noticed the text getting erased. Some info on my franken:

Gen dial

Gen Movement

Gen Hands

Gen Crown

Gen Strap and buckle.....

Basically only pusher and body and of course existing bezel is not gen......Actually managed to get a gen bezel before togther with th dial but was damaged for whatever reason........So asking for masters advise if any on this any help appreciated.....

post-34102-0-74721900-1421914915_thumb.j

post-34102-0-08702000-1421914929_thumb.j

Edited by stpaul

The index rings are delicate and the markings can be rubbed off very easily. They can be damaged when the crystal is fitted and it looks like the crystal gasket isn't sitting too well around the area of the damage. See the gasket bulging between 25 and 20. I would suspect the gasket was pushed in and rubbed the markings off when the crystal was fitted. Not much you can do apart from replacing the index ring (if you can find one) and use a new gasket. If the gasket gets deformed when fitting it should be replaced as it will never work properly.

Apart from someone trying to clean it and damaging it or a combination of both I can't see any other way this can happen. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Managed to get a gen tachy ring thanks to watchfreund. Brought it to a watch smith here (He did the servicing for my franken iwc) but unfortunately the gen is thicker than the rep tachy ring so he does not dare replace/mod the ring. Would anyone happen to know who can do this operation?

attached is the pic of my gen tachy ring and a comparison of the gen and rep tachy ring thickness. Again any replies/PM would be much appreciated. Thank you.

IWC%20Tachy%20ring_zpspu1mlwhf.jpeg

IWCIMG_8837_zpsvfp5ysp8.jpg

Thanks Journeyman. emailed him but response is not so positive waiting for his next reply. If really cannot the I'll just most probably sell this off even if it breaks my heart as can't stand the damaged tachy ring. Any other advice will be appreciated.

Edited by stpaul

• 5 months later...

Finally recieved my IWC from Domi.and got to say the 3 months was worth the wait :-) Sorry for the poor images. Thanks again bro higginsd for Domi's contact.

So now this franken has:
Gen Movement

Gen Dial

Gen Tachy

Gen hands

Gen Crown

Gen strap and buckle

Think will stop here now........

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg