When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If You Could Only Own One genuine Watch, Which One Would It Be?

johnboy777

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One genuine watch to wear every day: Gold Yachtmaster MOP serti dial. Simple, elegant, a bit of bling...

Unlimited funds is a once in a lifetime opportunity and some people are crowing about Rolex.....the GM of watches.....it baffles me.....
Well, they have the most timeless design and the most wearable everyday watches. I like to wear my watches. Could you really see yourself walking through the streets of bankok with a $1,000,000 VC on your wrist?

.......it's like the genie giving you one wish for a car....

If that were the case, buy the Vacheron 250 anniversary at $2,000,000, sell it and buy my Yachtie.

No end of budget for watch = absolute end of imagination for some.......No Date Sub.......DUH...give some people ultimate choice and they run straight at the edge of their envelope and bounce right off it.....!

Like I said, it'd have to be the Sub straight out of the Broccoli's safe. The most famous Sub in the world isn't just a no-date Sub. It's historic.

I could say about your choices ... given all the choice of all the historic timepieces offered in the world and you'd go for one that's merely worth money?

Your car analogy would be like selecting a Veyron straight from the showroom over Bullitt's Mustang. No imagination or soul in your choice. :D

Could you guys really wear a watch worth 30K-50K-150K every day as a daily beater???? To me, it would be like strapping sheet rock to the roof of my McLaren F1 and use it to haul supplys to the construction site every day. The fact that this is the ONLY watch I would be able to own in this fantasy scenario, just going for the rarest or most expensive or most prestegious is a far too simple way of looking at it. If I had a $100,000 Patek on my wrist when I accidently brushed my wrist against a brick wall, I'd...I'd......I can't even think of it. Only if I were allowed another watch that I could wear with impunity on a daily basis would I go for the best and most expensive of complicated pieces from the oldest companies.

If you had an unlimited budget, but could only own and wear one ‘genuine’ watch, which one would it be?

This might sound boring (it probably is), but for me, it’d be the Rolex Sub no-date. I have owned about a dozen nice gens over the last thirty years or so, but for some reason I always gravitate toward sub-type watches. They seem to work well with a suit or casual and they are simple and sturdy in design. And the Rolex gen bracelet that some say is flimsy, feels comfortable to me – and appears to be designed that way.

It'd be the 14060M for me :victory:

For me it would have to be a vintage Omega moon watch

No end of budget for watch = absolute end of imagination for some.......No Date Sub.......DUH...give some people ultimate choice and they run straight at the edge of their envelope and bounce right off it.....!

Unlimited funds is a once in a lifetime opportunity and some people are crowing about Rolex.....the GM of watches.....it baffles me......but then again maybe I should learn to expect no less......after all...God made....ya know the rest...!

One choice and one choice only......it has to be a toss uo between the Patek Star Caliber Grande Complication .....or the Vacheron et Constantin Tour De L'ile......either from the oldest established manufacture or from the premier manufacture.......it's like the genie giving you one wish for a car....and you plump for a Mercedes 230 E class........me.......I'll go for the Veyron......!

You read my mind on the Patek

Could you guys really wear a watch worth 30K-50K-150K every day as a daily beater???? To me, it would be like strapping sheet rock to the roof of my McLaren F1 and use it to haul supplys to the construction site every day. The fact that this is the ONLY watch I would be able to own in this fantasy scenario, just going for the rarest or most expensive or most prestegious is a far too simple way of looking at it. If I had a $100,000 Patek on my wrist when I accidently brushed my wrist against a brick wall, I'd...I'd......I can't even think of it. Only if I were allowed another watch that I could wear with impunity on a daily basis would I go for the best and most expensive of complicated pieces from the oldest companies.

who said it has to be a daily beater? I would just love to have one.

who said it has to be a daily beater? I would just love to have one.

OP "If you had an unlimited budget, but could only own and wear one ‘genuine’ watch, which one would it be?"

I interpreted this as this would be the only watch you would own and wear. If I wore the same watch every day, it would qualify for "beater" status.

198235-2336.jpg

My old client wore that watch - he was a crook, he is going to jail now, but it was a nice watch and he wore it all the time.

It would be tuff to chose just 1. - Its actually easier chosing 1 with a 10 or 20k budget, but then you get into all these crazy unique watches that are like 200k

I'd have to go freak - even though it wasn't as impressive as i had hoped when i actually tried it on - but, i think it speaks to my style

198235-2337.jpg

OP "If you had an unlimited budget, but could only own and wear one ‘genuine’ watch, which one would it be?"

I interpreted this as this would be the only watch you would own and wear. If I wore the same watch every day, it would qualify for "beater" status.

point taken... EXCEPT!!!

you could wear a rep as your dialy beater and save the patek for those oh so special occassions, like when you are taking your honey out for a night doin' the Hucklebuck or better yet to the skating rink!!

Once she sees that bad boy on your wrist, you won't be hearin' "I'll kiss ya latah -- I'm eating a potatah"

Alright, so I am streaching it a bit.l

point taken... EXCEPT!!!

you could wear a rep as your dialy beater and save the patek for those oh so special occassions, like when you are taking your honey out for a night doin' the Hucklebuck or better yet to the skating rink!!

Once she sees that bad boy on your wrist, you won't be hearin' "I'll kiss ya latah -- I'm eating a potatah"

Alright, so I am streaching it a bit.l

23 skidoo....Bo do de o do......

I see the hole in the logic of the question. 'Mr prosecutor, you said nothing about owning reps!!!!"

I agree with Neil, without a doubt Vacheron Constantin’s Tour de l’Ile – World’s Most Complicated Watch

198246-2334.jpg

2 million dollars + correct?????

On a wrist???

So basically you are reducing the question to "What's the worlds most expensive watch?" It stimulated a little more thought in me.

Better set up a budget for a 24 hour bodyguard.

Like I said, it'd have to be the Sub straight out of the Broccoli's safe. The most famous Sub in the world isn't just a no-date Sub. It's historic
Famous to who...r11co.......if the Sub is your idea of 'history'.....thanks for the laugh Puggy.......of course Vacheron and PP have no 'history'.....!

I could say about your choices ... given all the choice of all the historic timepieces offered in the world and you'd go for one that's merely worth money?

It's not about money........it's about heritage....innovation and technical excellence......a company formed in 1904 .....can't compare favourably with a company that was in existence before Hans Wilsdorff was a gleam in his papa's eye........as for technical excellence.......how could you compare a company whose idea of progress is to slap red paint all over the place with a dash of leopardskin.......to a company like Patek.....or VC...renowned for technical excellence...and worn by Royalty since the 1700's......gimme a break.....and at the same time you should take a break from those all too similar watches that catch your fancy.......Rolex Sub wannabes......and if it's about history....why you plumping for a 'collectible'....piece of junk that cost zilch when it waS introduced...and has been elevated to astronomical costs and reputation.......because some WIS decided it was historic......it's no more historic than Breitlings first chronos or a myriad of other companies products.....but none of them ever breathed the exalted atmosphere that Patek or Vacheron did......simple plain facts......Antiquorum and Sothebys will testify to that........never mind the techinical excellence of VC or PP's products over the period......you can't compare a company who makes rather pedestrian product with those who excel in complicated horological timepieces....!

Your car analogy would be like selecting a Veyron straight from the showroom over Bullitt's Mustang. No imagination or soul in your choice
You need to stop reading so much Hemingway....if you had ever driven a Mustang......you wouldn't wax so lyrical over it......they handle like a rhinoceros on a wet mudbank......and were good in the sixties.....believe me......leaving aside technical differences.....a Mustang is a pony......a Veyron is a whole herd of them.....as for imagination........I wear one of these.....and you couldn't live without one of those........I'll let your imagination keep wandering..'cos I know it won't wander very far......at least no further than a Bond movie or SF scenery........LMAO...!

198294-2321.jpg

198294-2322.jpg

@Jody.......a guy who wears two tone cowboy boots.....Italian high cut pants.....bootlace ties and asks me to find him the most iced out Jacob on the planet......should think twice about what is his everyday wearer.....!

As for walking the streets of Bangkok.....if I was wearing the V&C TDL.....I wouldn't be walking anywhere.....like I said.......small minds....small imaginations.....!

@crystal........

If I had a $100,000 Patek on my wrist when I accidently brushed my wrist against a brick wall,

In 35+ years of wearing a watch....I've never brushed it against anything other than the sleeve of me Sea Island cotton shirt.....and believe me if I had a VC TDL on my wrist.....nothing other than Angelie Jolie would touch it....!

Edited by TTK