When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Birth Year Options

ww12345

I know this is more of a "build your own" but I figured there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here...

What are my options for a 1991 birth-year watch? Looking at this right now, but is it a decent price? (and real?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-No-Date-Submariner-14060-/261744843850?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf1355c4a

There are tons of options for a 1991 birth year watch. Rolex had several models at various prices and metals. Also there are a lot of other brands available to you unless you specifically want a Rolex.

If you want a Rolex, I would post a WTB ad over on the Vintage Rolex Marketplace. You will have to be pretty specific as to what you want though. You can't just post WTB 1991 year Rolex. It has to be a Submariner, Datejust, Day Date, GMT, etc. Prices there aren't cheap, but Ebay prices have gotten crazy, and the nice thing about the VRM is it's well poiiced, most of the regulars there are very knowledgable, and you will be getting a genuine Rolex. Most of the folks who are regular sellers on there have return privilages if the watch doesn't suit your fancy.

Also there are a lot of other brands available to you unless you specifically want a Rolex.

....but Ebay prices have gotten crazy...

Yeah, it seemed like stuff on eBay was like 1-3k higher than it should have been. Also, what other brands were you thinking of? I hadn't really considered any others.

I guess not. I suppose a nice omega or something would be cool too. Or other brands - what did you have in mind, M?

Nothing in particular at the moment.  I usually urge people to resist Submariners and Speedmasters for their birth-watch pics because that's the safe, easy, and boring choice.  My philosophy is to get a watch that's less "timeless" and more linked -either design-wise or by cultural association- to the year it was made in.  That's a bit difficult for 1991!  Nevertheless, let me suggest either a Pre-Bond Seamaster or something in titanium by IWC/Porsche Design.

Good points... However, I want to make sure that what I get as my first "good" gen (have an old Omega Seamaster, but a '60s dress model) is still classy and timeless looking enough that I want to wear it! I have a franken pre-Bond Seamaster that I thought about making up, but the case is just so funky... I'll look at IWC though - that might be interesting... Why titanium, out of curiousity? Also, I was looking at an Exp II - figured they only made that dial variation for a while...

Why titanium, out of curiousity? Also, I was looking at an Exp II - figured they only made that dial variation for a while...

As I said, I like a birth watch that's "of the era", and -although IWC and Porsche were collaborating on titanium as early as the 1980s- Ti in consumer goods was really taking off in the early 90s.  For example, one of my dream bikes at that time was a titanium Merlin, as ridden by Greg LeMond.  

of course, the most important thing is getting a birth watch that you actually want to wear!  The 14060 is a nice, balanced design.  I like the relative lack of text on the dial's lower half, as you expect to read a paragraph every time you see a sports Rolex these days.  

Oh, OK. I see what you mean... I'll look at some Ti IWCs... Never really ventured into that territory, so maybe that would be a nice breakup of the collection. (Rolex/Omega reps and IWC gen).

I agree though - the 14060 I like because while it is a Sub, it's more like the traditional subs... Less DSSD-type text and more watch. :)  However, the 16570 is really speaking to me too, since it was introduced around my birthyear and is a pretty unique watch to that decade. I have a line on two right now - one at around $3600 for head+78360 bracelet and the other at around $3400 for head only. Do these sound like OK buys?

Of course, if you really want a birth year watch, it should be a watch that was also introduced the year you were born in order to make it truly special...

Best one I can think of for 1991 would be the Rolex Daytona 16528. But there were only 10 of these, and I doubt they could be pried from the owner's hands for any amount of money, as they are the most astounding Daytonas ever produced.

Since that is an impossibility, get your favorite model with a X serial number, or a N serial number if you were born in November or December.

Good luck with your search.

Edited by POTR

Haha! :)

Ok, here's what I think I've decided. I'm thinking I should go with an N serial (even though I'm a Feb birthday - X serials seem to add 1.5k usd and from what I understand they operated like 6mos out anyway, meaning mine was being crafted in February, even if it wasn't done in February). Also, that I should do watch and head - cry once, right? Further, some people have questioned whether I truly want a Explorer. That actually got me thinking about it, and confirming it. When I was drawn to Rolex ( and wrist watches in general) the first one I saw an wanted was the Connery sub. Then, when I started looking at birth year watches before I got into reps I decided I had to have a sub. Now, almost 5 years later, regular subs (especially sapphire) seem a dime a dozen. The only other watch that attracted me was the original explorer. However, the '90s iteration screwed it up - discarding the legibility in favor of bling. That's why I want the exp II - legible and one of the last watches to actually be used as a tool. Anyway, I think I've thought it over and am pretty confident going forward. Worst case, I have a week return policy no questions asked. :)