When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fake 'vintage' Documentation - yea or nay?

whoopy12

Hey all,

A 1952 Rolex guarantee booklet I purchased just arrived today. Of course, after whipping out my loupe, also recently acquired ;)  I began to have some serious doubts concerning the booklet's authenticity.

While not SUPER versed in different types of printing, lets just say I know what "dot matrix" printing is, and when it hit the scene (1968). Below is a thread I remembered reading on VRF of a similar forgery, and also a nice macro of an example of dot matrix printing.

Check out the macro photos below and let me know what you guys think. Authentic; yea or nay? :)

6bVka8d.jpg

Qpa0EbE.jpg

cHP0ZtW.jpg

owIdB65.jpg

GrC1M4V.jpg

vIc0263.jpg

z8gLxcQ.jpg

Sq98TFM.jpg

Was more if it was the same i had i could try take some close up pics mine i know is gen didnt Think thry were worth Much but Guess i might should sell it dont have the watch anymore anyway :p

For large volume, good quality text and graphic images in the early 50s, the newest best process was phototypesetting, images and text of the same color were arranged and photographed to produce an image carrier for each color. Pretty much the same as color ads in magazines until the newer computer processes took over in the 90s... The only better printing would be gravure (intaglio) which produces raised ink like you would find on invitations, business cards, and money.

The photomechanical processes produce 'dots' because the plates have various sized holes that carry the ink, but the dots are not in line like a dot matrix printer, the youngster writing that one story I glanced at that you posted is an idiot. The magazine 'print' of the painting is a multi-screen photomechanical process, which is exactly what I would expect to see on old docs with graphics printed in the thousands of copies. If THAT old document were scanned and then printed with a modern inkjet process, the color dots would be run together more by the scanning and then pixelated by the printing process, and would show distinct lines and square edges that your document doesn't display.

• Like 2

Was the paper quite textured? Seems the ink was touching the raised portions causing the dot effect?

This has nothing to do with the texture of the paper, even if the paper isn't calandered it won't have that consistent grid.

The rosettes are caused by the angle of the different colour screens to prevent moire. The screen itself is due to the exposure

of the offset plate. I have to note that good HD printer can produce a print image that is very similar to offset but can be

recognized by means of other details.