When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

John Kerry is NOT a WIS

Beachcomber

Hank Paulson, the former CEO of Goldman Sachs and then Treasury Secretary wore a G-Shock. The guy had more money than God himself and didn't care about that. Many people don't care about watches. We do, so we just assume everyone else does, too, but just because they have money doesn't mean they care about watches. Why would you want a watch, anyway, when your smart phone keeps much better time and is more convenient?

+1. 

Couldn't agree more. Not everyone who could afford the nicest watches spend on them, and not everyone who wears a nice watch is rich.

Its the same for cars and properties. At the end of the day, "visible wealth" is not as important as true wealth. It is about individual lifestyle preferences.

+1. 

Couldn't agree more. Not everyone who could afford the nicest watches spend on them, and not everyone who wears a nice watch is rich.

Its the same for cars and properties. At the end of the day, "visible wealth" is not as important as true wealth. It is about individual lifestyle preferences.

Agreed.

I remember when an incredibly well-heeled wealthy friend of mine who is probably a 16th generation American (guessing) from Manhattan said to me "why would you buy such a flashy statement of wealth?" when she saw the green/green Rolex Sub-LV. She had herself on a Breguet and she'd had no problem with my Zenith which didn't cost what the Rollie did.

Her mind was Rolex was ostentatious expression of personal wealth, with little to show for the price-tag, (I still love them) whereas some of the upper-echelon brands aren't recognized by the masses and you're safer flying under the radar wearing it. Those in the know will recognize it and appreciate it...the plebes will not have any idea. Twisted logic that I can appreciate.

If you aren't totally into watches, no amount of money is going to change that. It is like sports or scrapbooking, photography, cars, guns, model building, or any other endless hobbies out there. If you aren't already interested in it, then money is irrelevant.

Edited by Mendota Explorer