When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Friends Genuine Omega Purchase Gone Wrong - Rare replica found

So a friend of mine in the watch world purchased what he thought was a genuine Omega 007 Limited Edition (the first one released in 2002) and he got it on Monday. Sadly, upon closer inspection it looks like a replica. He sent me pictures and from what I can see, this is one of the first Omega 007 Seamasters (the closed factory model) released back in the day. 

Now i'm sitting here thinking, could the seller, who is based in Queensland, be a former member here trying to pass off a quality replica as genuine? Friend said the seller's name is Allen U. Does this ring a bell to any of the aussie guys here?

Anyway, appreciate your thoughts on the watch. It has the correct HEV position, you can see the serial on the lug and it uses the seagull clone eta 2892 movement which are trademarks of the best replica Omega SMP replica around.

He is trying to get his money back at this stage...

1_zpsggrxw2dz.jpg

2_zpsovfaiewg.jpg

the limited edition fetches for much more I think

no insert which I think was the reason why it was cheaper? no idea - need to ask friend

There is a gen in a local jewellers. It's boxed with papers and in great condition, but it's priced at £3500!!!! I asked the shop owner if there was a misprint and he said "no, the owner of the watch thinks that because it's a limited edition it's worth it!" Whilst I love a nice Omega (rep and gen), £3500 is at least twice what I'd even think about paying.

There is a gen in a local jewellers. It's boxed with papers and in great condition, but it's priced at £3500!!!! I asked the shop owner if there was a misprint and he said "no, the owner of the watch thinks that because it's a limited edition it's worth it!" Whilst I love a nice Omega (rep and gen), £3500 is at least twice what I'd even think about paying.

yeah thats too much.

I think i've seen these go for around $2.5K on average whereas the standard one goes for around $1.2-1.5 in good condition.

• 2 weeks later...