When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HR 6538 Big Crown - tube protrusion

508-Fanatic

Hi all,

Have a question here regarding the HR (helenarou) 6538 Big Crown from the raffle. The tube protrudes from the case, not complaining, just looks a little odd. It's an ETA movement. Looks like if it didn't protrude the bezel would smack the crown.

Is there a fix for this? Better case option?

post-67250-0-39736100-1428357134_thumb.j

post-67250-0-59505700-1428357140_thumb.j

post-67250-0-41081000-1428357144_thumb.j

It should protrude, but maybe 1/2mm less than that.  Is the tube still fully screwed into the case?  Can you pull the stem and see if there's a monster o-ring inside the crown?  It's actually not bad but the shape of the tube where it enters the crown makes it look too long.

Here is Athaya's 8mm crown.  It's a similar distance but shaped more accurate:

IMG_0190.png

A different angle:

IMG_0317.png

Here's a couple gens:

ziggy1.jpg

ziggy2.jpg

• Like 1

The Athaya is a great replacement.  I had Ziggy install it and we encountered some problems.  It originally went onto a Silix case, whose side tapers in at the top (when viewed from the end of the lug).  He had to drill the tube hole parallel to the case, not perpendicular to the side.  This put the hole perilously close to the underside, where the caseback seals flat.  It made a very minor protrusion but it still worked.

On the Big Gonzo (MQ case) there was plenty of metal for it to fit correctly.  It lived there until I could cough up the money for the gen crown.

• Like 2

I don't mind paying for the gen crown, but if the tube doesn't fit the case properly it wouldn't be worth it unfortunately. I guess that's my predicament. I'll try to turn the tube into the case more and if not, cut it down a bit with my watchmaker. Stay tuned. Might go Athaya regardless.

The Athaya is a great replacement.  I had The Zigmeister install it and we encountered some problems.  It originally went onto a Silix case, whose side tapers in at the top (when viewed from the end of the lug).  He had to drill the tube hole parallel to the case, not perpendicular to the side.  This put the hole perilously close to the underside, where the caseback seals flat.  It made a very minor protrusion but it still worked.

On the Big Gonzo (MQ case) there was plenty of metal for it to fit correctly.  It lived there until I could cough up the money for the gen crown.

Yes on a silix case it's very tight fit, and easy to warp .

Did you put an extra washer or something inside the crown to make it not fully flush with crown tube like gen...? Love that build :)