When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Contemplating a purchase, thoughts?

droptopman

Hi all,

I have several builds going, but have sourced all the parts and I am just waiting for final touches on the builds....so dangerous time for me.  I have had the itch for another gen for a while now and with no parts to hunt down, I am looking at watches.

What do you think of this one?  It is a 1966 (my birth year) and the transition for this model from gilt.  It has the somewhat rare dial and small GMT hand.  Insert is a little beat on and no box, papers or service documents and the case was recently refinished by ABC.  Kind of on the fence with it.  Love the year, dial and small hand, but not crazy about no documentation, the insert and the case being refinished.  I know there are a lot of 1675's out there, but I have not run across another with this dial and small GMT hand from 1966.  

Any thoughts from the collective?

post-60288-0-10586200-1428447431_thumb.j

post-60288-0-44389600-1428447443_thumb.j

• Like 1

It is an interesting dial, but my (un) biased opinion is that the bevels could have been cut better. I could honestly do better.

I would pass and be patient, even if it takes some time. It's your birth year watch. There should be no reservations. You have to absolutely love every aspect of the watch and jump in when you find the right one.

• Like 1

How are you guys making judgement without asking for potential price? lol

For all you know, this could be priced appropriately (or am I missing something?)

A gen birth year vintage watch is more than about the price.  An unpolished original case beats a nicely repolished case anyday..  a mediocre polished case is something that will not be a keeper.  Plus I've seen the listing on VRF.

Plus he just asked for input.  I stand behind my comments on the bevels regardless of price.  It could be better.

I appreciate the feedback and it is right where I was at. There are parts I like on this piece, but the case cannot/should not be changed. If I wanted new bevels I know a guy that does em much better . Always good to get more eyes on a piece.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Fair enough!

I've been trying to play this genuine game differently I guess. I only pick up genuine pieces when they are an absolute steal. I picked up a 16750 last year for $2.7K with matte dial and bracelet. At that price, who cares about the condition of the polish lol

No doubt about that. If I run into any deals like that I will jump quick. I have seen just a mid case sell on the bay for 2k+.

Nice score there mate.

No doubt about that. If I run into any deals like that I will jump quick. I have seen just a mid case sell on the bay for 2k+.

Nice score there mate.

I think you have to be patient, very patient.

If you give yourself a month, you won't find it. So I guess the downside is I waste alot of time trying to find these deals. Perhaps you have better things to do!

Good luck with your search. 1675 are becoming harder to find but i'm sure you will mate.