When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ROO Modding -Lite

About 16 months ago, I didn't even own one AP watch. In fact they weren't even a blip on my radar. Then someone posted some photos of the FC V3 Diver, and I was bitten by the AP bug!! After that came a S/S V5 then a Safari, followed shortly by a RG Diver, then a RG ROO, All of these worked fine out the box ( all except the S/S V5 were M2M sales) My next addition was a White dial Rubberclad, and that's where my troubles started. This watch was modded, but had lots of movement problems. Because I really liked the watch, and this one was spending a lot of time either broken, or in transit back and forth from the repair person, I bought another identical one that was fully modded  by Domi. This one like my first group has worked just fine. Since I decided that I really didn't need two almost identical ROO's, I decided to sell the problem watch as a parts watch. I listed it at a pretty low price figuring someone would buy it for the parts. after the first day, I got a PM from my good friend Legend who told me, don't give up on this one, send it to him and he would take it to spinmaster and let him have a look at it.  So long story short, I sent it to Legend, he took  it to Spin, who cleaned oiled and replaced the mainspring with and ETA mainspring.Happy ending!! This watch which I had named "the  possessed one" due to it's complete resistance to any and all attempts at repairing it, had now finally submitted and was acting like a watch was supposed to act. accurate time, power reserve of 45-50 hours. But, one problem still remained, two watches that are identical. What to do? Since I make no claims at all of being a modder, I really didn't feel that I could do much in the way of modding. changing out dials and hands were out. But I thought, I should be able to change out the bezel, even though changing out a ROO bezel is a bit more complicated than popping a Rolex sub bezel off. I do have a nice work bench and the tools to do the job, so what the heck, might as well go for it. I found a bezel and crystal on another forum, and after it arrived, I removed the back, case nuts and removed the old Rubberclad bezel. Putting the new one on was pretty straightforward, using another ROO as a guide to make sure the screw slots were lined up correctly, Everything went back in place and there was the "New ROO" Maybe not for everyone, but it gave me another "look" with a watch I already had and I knew was reliable.

I owe a debt of gratitude to Legend for his help. He received the watch, personally took it to Spin and made sure it got taken care of. Mailed the watch back and kept up with the progress (Or lack thereof) through the mail system. (It tracked out of Singapore and nothing was heard from it for I believe almost a month and one day, it showed clearing ISC in Miami!) Folks like Legend are what makes this such a great community and I sincerely appreciate his help. So with that here are a few photos of the "Legend ROO".

I'm not sure I'm going to keep it on this strap, I may very well try to find a dark chocolate gator at some point. My Rubberclad is on a black gator from SMP_lover and i really like it. I'm slowly converting all my ROO's to the newer style straps with the 20mm buckles. much more comfortable at least to me.

post-327-0-96735900-1429373347_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-35836500-1429373453_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-84494900-1429373503_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-76066300-1429373541_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-67083300-1429373610_thumb.jpg

Very nice story, indeed.

Kudos to Legend for his help, to you for trusting in him and to Spin for the work.

I'd like to suggest you to put an SS bracelet on it (like what I did) or an Exclusive black HB from Jacob (I'm customizing one)

Her sister says hi ;)

image_zpsfc28818a.jpg

Beautiful, that's her real sister!! :1a: born of true AP parents, mine is the homely stepsister. ;)

About 16 months ago, I didn't even own one AP watch. In fact they weren't even a blip on my radar. Then someone posted some photos of the FC V3 Diver, and I was bitten by the AP bug!! After that came a S/S V5 then a Safari, followed shortly by a RG Diver, then a RG ROO, All of these worked fine out the box ( all except the S/S V5 were M2M sales) My next addition was a White dial Rubberclad, and that's where my troubles started. This watch was modded, but had lots of movement problems. Because I really liked the watch, and this one was spending a lot of time either broken, or in transit back and forth from the repair person, I bought another identical one that was fully modded  by Domi. This one like my first group has worked just fine. Since I decided that I really didn't need two almost identical ROO's, I decided to sell the problem watch as a parts watch. I listed it at a pretty low price figuring someone would buy it for the parts. after the first day, I got a PM from my good friend Legend who told me, don't give up on this one, send it to him and he would take it to spinmaster and let him have a look at it.  So long story short, I sent it to Legend, he took  it to Spin, who cleaned oiled and replaced the mainspring with and ETA mainspring.Happy ending!! This watch which I had named "the  possessed one" due to it's complete resistance to any and all attempts at repairing it, had now finally submitted and was acting like a watch was supposed to act. accurate time, power reserve of 45-50 hours. But, one problem still remained, two watches that are identical. What to do? Since I make no claims at all of being a modder, I really didn't feel that I could do much in the way of modding. changing out dials and hands were out. But I thought, I should be able to change out the bezel, even though changing out a ROO bezel is a bit more complicated than popping a Rolex sub bezel off. I do have a nice work bench and the tools to do the job, so what the heck, might as well go for it. I found a bezel and crystal on another forum, and after it arrived, I removed the back, case nuts and removed the old Rubberclad bezel. Putting the new one on was pretty straightforward, using another ROO as a guide to make sure the screw slots were lined up correctly, Everything went back in place and there was the "New ROO" Maybe not for everyone, but it gave me another "look" with a watch I already had and I knew was reliable.

I owe a debt of gratitude to Legend for his help. He received the watch, personally took it to Spin and made sure it got taken care of. Mailed the watch back and kept up with the progress (Or lack thereof) through the mail system. (It tracked out of Singapore and nothing was heard from it for I believe almost a month and one day, it showed clearing ISC in Miami!) Folks like Legend are what makes this such a great community and I sincerely appreciate his help. So with that here are a few photos of the "Legend ROO".

I'm not sure I'm going to keep it on this strap, I may very well try to find a dark chocolate gator at some point. My Rubberclad is on a black gator from SMP_lover and i really like it. I'm slowly converting all my ROO's to the newer style straps with the 20mm buckles. much more comfortable at least to me.

attachicon.gifIMG_2659a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2661a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2662a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2665a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2680a.jpg

Oh wow A, I did not read this thread till now.

If there was a case of "excessive gratitude", this would be it :lol:

I was simply helping you the way any friend would and I am glad that the watch worked out well for you!

That 1 month wait was indeed harrowing for us both. I have never lost a watch in transit and that was the closest ever... 

Me too, I believe what made it worse was that was about the time a lot if guys were having watches seized by US Customs.

Probably won't be long and it will be making a return trip for the new mods!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...