When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage gen 6516/7 for my wife - what to look for?

Hi guys. With all of the expertise in the vintage world here, I wanted to ask you all for some advice. I'm looking at a bunch of vintage 6517 and 6516 lady dates for my wife as a gift. They are all from somewhere within the 1960s based on serial. Some are completely original with rivet or folded, a few have an Oyster, and others are head only. I'm not too worried about that because I can get a nice croc band and Rolex buckle for it if I were just to get the head.

I have no idea what the service history is, but the inside of the casebacks all show the typical WS markings from servicing. Some have more notes than others.

Of course the dials and hands all show some degree of aging and patina, which is part of the character, but overall they seem to be pretty good for a 50 some-odd year old watch. The stretch also doesn't appear to be too bad. A spa trip to Michael Young can always remedy that.

Are these lady auto movements pretty robust? What would you guys look out for when eyeing these up? I've never really done any research on these, never at all, so I feel like a fish out of water a little bit.

I suppose I could always flip it if she doesn't like it, but I'm kind of hoping she will have a fondness for vintage pieces like I do.

Anyway, I just thought I'd reach out for some general broad strokes input before I narrow it down.

Oh, they are all under a grand, too. So they are previously loved. With that in mind, would an all gen franken also be a good option in this case or is that price range low enough that just getting the complete watch is the way to go?

Thanks in advance!!

My wife had a later DJ from the 80s or so and she had a hard time keeping it wound- the auto-wind just didn't do the trick and she doesn't like to wear a watch to bed at night.

I've since heard of other ladies having the same problem with the Ladies DJ.

The other problem with the 6517/6516  is that it's going to be hard to get parts for it- Rolex just doesn't support the vintage watches- like the 5513/1680 and earlier.

A 6917 would be a later watch- might still be able to find parts for it- late 70s-80s, I believe.

I'll check tonight and see which watch she has- I just don't remember- she paid about $2K for hers and then had it serviced- but it's been 6-8 years ago.

I don't think it has anything to do with the movement being small, I just think that women aren't as active as men are. But I don't really know.

My wife's watch is a model 69173 and has an L serial, circa 1989 or 90. Also has a sapphire crystal.

If you could pick up a 6516 or 7 that's been serviced and in good condition, for around $1000, I would think it would be a good deal.

My wife has a 6517 from 1966, it belonged to my mother. It stopped working completely once. Rolex told me they won't repair these vintage watches. I found a independant rolex watchsmith and the watch is running perfectly again. My wife loves it, I just have to get a new bracelet...the old jubilee has A LOT of stretch...

I bet Matt could answer this question. He has worked on lots of them. My wife's TT gen Datejust got to where it wouldn't hand wind. I sent it to Matt and he did a complete service and it's been running like a charm for a couple of years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk