When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Posting Prices

KB

At the request of the majority of the members we have a rule that prices should be posted in the trade section. This rule also goes for the Dealers. Now some of them are posting MRSP prices, off forum prices, etc and request you to e-mail them for price. We all know that repeat buyers can get discounts or larger order, but how do you feel we should handle this. Should these sellers be allowed to sell their items here without posting their REAL selling price?

Ken

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HeWhoIsLikeGod

I think that the dealers are trying to run a business and the goal of a business is to make money. We should be greatful that we have our dealers and that we know we can trust them, that is priceless. I think that dealers should not be forced to display prices. If you want a price than you can email them and negotiate from there, if it is to expensive then walk away, no one is forcing anyone to spend there money and if they overpay well that is there fault, our dealers aren't going to charge someone 1,000 dollars over there cost for some piece of crap, I think if they can get an extra few bucks out of a sale well that is fine with me, after all they aren't selling just to break even, and while it probably isn't there only line of income they want to make money. I say we are all mature adults and can decide whether we are getting a fair deal or not, if not PM a trusted member and get there opinion. That is my honest opinion on the situation.

I am most likely to purchase a product if I immediately see the price tag.

I see it, I like it, here's the price tag --- consider it sold.

Most of my pieces were on impulse buy just like that.

I am least likely to buy from a dealer that does not post prices.

Mandate prices? No, I don't think so.

However, that dealer that does not show prices is least likely to get my business.

Guest HeWhoIsLikeGod

Maybe it is just the American in me, but i think the dealers have the right to do whatever they want, and so long as they are delivering quality watches at reasonable prices they should be free to advertise there watches however they like.

I am most likely to purchase a product if I immediately see the price tag.

I see it, I like it, here's the price tag --- consider it sold.

This would be me as well. Clogging through 4 or 5 dealers sites...emailing each...waiting for responses... all pretty much a pain in the [censored]. The point of each dealer making a buck or two is not a problem with me. Pricing is not the one thing that makes me decide on where to buy. There are so many other factors. A $50 difference wouldn't mean didly if I didn't have to pay WU fees and wait 3/4 weeks from one dealer to the next.

I favor all dealers using a similar template to describe the product including the price they want to sell it for. If they want to inflate the price, that is their business as is their willingness to offer silent discounts to members who buy regularly from them.

as the shady guy on the street whispered..."Caveat Emptor" ;)

@ HeWhoIsLikeGod.....the good old American way.......HUH?

Would you countenance going into Wal Mart or your local GM dealer.....and not seeing any posted prices......I don't think so....!

The fundamental problem is that some newbies get quoted inflated prices for some items that other more knowledgeable members are aware of market pricing....if a dealer has nothing to hide......where's the problem in saying how much it costs.....!

It's very simple.......everybody should be singing from the same hymn sheet.......if you publish an inflated price.....you run the risk of others recognising it's inflated.....what's the point of that.....if you publish the price that you want for it......any discount should be applied by the dealer as reward for loyalty or whatsoever......when you have 'hidden' pricing....it always seems as tho' someone is gonna lose and someone is gonna win....it should be a win-win situation.......members won't always buy the lowest price......they choose their dealer first.....then look at his pricing...if he doesn't post prices....it leaves it open to abuse.....!

Edited by TTK

I do feel that it would serve the community in time and money if prices were posted.

However,..Since the size of a dealer's operation has a lot to do with their profit margins,

this is a difficult situation.

Of course if the same item can be purchased less expensively from a volume dealer then I believe

a person has a right to get the lowest price.

Considerations however are customs, i.e. Canada where Eddie rules, Time frames, hard to find items,

movement, unique or popular stock.

In the above, most of our smaller dealers rule, but I feel that some sort of explaination should be posted

if the price is higher than a competitor's for nubies sake, as most of the experienced members know

the situation.

IMOP of course. :D

I agree with TTK.

I would add that we are not buying major pieces of real estate or expensive automobiles here...

Posting prices helps the whole process by speeding it up. Sellers here are well known by now and when they post a watch and price, I can make a purchase decision based on that.

Speed helps both buyers and sellers.

I always compare the quoted price to silix-prime and aspire-eshop. So I pretty much know the range.

I think it's better to list the price, especially for members trading.

Most of our honest. A little inflated price for new customers is acceptable imo.

But we have members quoting ridiculous price in the trade section.

I suggest "listing price" in the member trading section to be mandatory.

If possible, I think the dealers should also list the price as well. It's not necessary to hide as people can always compare the price to silix-prime.

With due respect to Neil, yes, it would be nice if everyone posted prices and we had a level playing field. For various reasons, and, after lots of encouragement, various dealers still do not post prices or do sometimes. This is a free market enterprise. If posting prices are mandated (??), and dealers decide to move to the other boards rather than comply, we haven't lost anything. We can just go to the other boards and buy. If the objective of this forum is to encourage on site sales, then why not leave well enough alone and let the market decide. buyers can say, "no prices, no sale".

It's really the buyers decision and posting prices should be encouraged and shouldn't be mandated.

That's free enterprise.

I prefer the price being posted and i really like a buy it now tab. I feel like i am a pain in the ass always emailing for a price. I do buy on impulse; if i see it and it's a good price i pounce. If i email and have to wait, who knows what comes up? need to pay the gas bill, school fees, wife wants new panties. my watch all of a sudden doesn't get bought. I respect the dealers right to do as they please. In every free market situation, let the market decide. Perhaps dealers who don't post prices will sell less, perhaps not.

I'd like to be able to see the price because I dont feel comfortable keep asking the same dealer for prices and never follow through with a purchase. Its like the cry wolf situation, eventually I will see a watch i like at a price I can afford (read, wife allows ;)) they may not respond because I have asked too many times and never follow through.

Perhaps some of the dealers could make up a current price sheet for each of the models they sell, updating when new models added. That way, it could simply be attached to a reply email when an inquiry is made regarding Omega, for instance. Repeated email inquiries for additional prices could be avoided, and a dealer could send out updated prices to previous customers in a bulk email periodically.

The only inquiry that would be necessary would be to check current availability, and since price is already known, and accepted, a higher percentage of inquiries would lead to sales. Initial inquiries wouldn't drop, but eventually email maintenance would lessen from the dealer's perspective.

I agree with Krusty and 8o8.

Perhaps a mod, or someone else could maintain a public list with the average price for a certain watch?

@ HeWhoIsLikeGod.....the good old American way.......HUH?

Would you countenance going into Wal Mart or your local GM dealer.....and not seeing any posted prices......I don't think so....!

They don't have to post prices, they just choose to because customers would go elsewhere where prices are posted (K-Mart or Ford dealer). The prices at a car dealership don't have too much meaning anways.

Plenty of places don't have prices for every item (jewelery store for instance).

Post prices with BUY Button. This would be a lot easier for both parties. Seller do not have to contend with a boatload of emails or pms asking for prices and buyers does not have to wait for prices. I for one have bought a few reps. Most of my purchases are impluse.

Me like watch, Me see and like price, me press buy button. :p

For some reason there has always been lots of secrecy with the prices. There's this "unwritten rule" that even _members_ never tell how much they paid for the watch in their reviews. God knows how many PM's I've got like "nice watch, how much did you pay?".

I have asked this question only twice (from another member) and it was like "ahh, I can't tell the price... it's between me and Joe Blow, my favourite dealer".

When I was a noob I asked prices from some "big name dealers" here and they gave me completely ridiculous prices for some rep models that I was able to source $200 cheaper later on. I also thought bigger price always means better quality, which isn't always the case. There are some excellent $100 and $150 reps available.

Then there's this saying "First choose your dealer, then choose your watch". Frankly, that's not very good advice. I say "First educate yourself, know the different replica models and buy THAT EXACT replica model for best (or at least reasonable) price from a good dealer". They are generally the same freakin' Chinese watches for Chrissakes!

All our dealers are trustworthy and good, so why pay $150 extra for "good service"? Some dealers SEE the watches before they ship them, that's always good... I'm more than happy to pay extra for that kind of service. I don't want to get a watch with missing crown or bezel. Sending the watch back and forth to get "replacement parts" is more like bad quality control... rather than "good service", imho.

These "What do you think about Eddie's Sub?" and "What do you think about King's Sub?" questions are ignorant as well. There are usually 2-3 different rep models of the same watch and the dealers get either one (or both). Compare the pics... and again buy it for the good price.

About the public prices... I don't know. I'm glad we have so many excellent dealers who provide us excellent watches for reasonable prices. 100% public prices would be ideal but I guess some dealers never agree on that route. If even the _members_ think the prices are "hush hush" stuff why should we require that from the dealers? Members could easily make the prices public if they wanted, so what's the problem here?