When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone into cycling ?

sgtguk

I had one of the old school Cannondale beer can frame mountain bikes that I built about 20 years ago.  Nothing too special.  All Shimano components, but it was a large frame to fit me at 6'3".  About 15 years ago, I changed rims and tires and converted it to a road bike and was riding pretty regularly back then.  Then lost interest and started lifting weights again.  You will love this...I was on a work trip and my wife sold it at the church yard sale for $300.    

could be worse

i had a full on Roy Thame track machine with Campy bits (also some Jap alloy) that i raced & won many a medal in my youth

my mom said it did no good hanging in her balcony so she GAVE IT AWAY to the idiot who did odd jobs around the coop

to further rub it in, the moron thanked me for the 'gift' when i got back into town

could be worse

i had a full on Roy Thame track machine with Campy bits (also some Jap alloy) that i raced & won many a medal in my youth

my mom said it did no good hanging in her balcony so she GAVE IT AWAY to the idiot who did odd jobs around the coop

to further rub it in, the moron thanked me for the 'gift' when i got back into town

Too funny, he thanked you for the gift.  In the mid to late 70's I was into BMX racing and built a bunch of cool bikes, but my all time favorite was a Blue DG Racer that I built from scratch.  I cannot remember the components used but it was all the best stuff from back then.  Worked for my dad to get funds to buy parts.  This bike was super fast and super light and totally pristine.  I loved that bike.  My little brother is 6 years younger than me, so when I turned 16 and started driving my Mother talked me into giving him the bike.  He trashed it in less than a month.....   

I don't have any siblings so I have most of my bikes hanging in my garage :D and my mum knew better than to dispose of them. My wife however would sell them in a heartbeat for a new pair of shoes. I've explained to her that if she did the money would be used to buy her a nice plot in the ground.

In fact I've recently started to get fit again and have fitted a set of flat 'bars to my old training bike. I'm only riding 50 - 70 miles a week, but it's a start.

Too funny, he thanked you for the gift.  In the mid to late 70's I was into BMX racing and built a bunch of cool bikes, but my all time favorite was a Blue DG Racer that I built from scratch.  I cannot remember the components used but it was all the best stuff from back then.  Worked for my dad to get funds to buy parts.  This bike was super fast and super light and totally pristine.  I loved that bike.  My little brother is 6 years younger than me, so when I turned 16 and started driving my Mother talked me into giving him the bike.  He trashed it in less than a month.....   

tell me about it

my mom is up here every spring/summer with my family

when she's not spoiling my kids she regales them with stories from my past

all of them bad (but true) too :D

just the other day i overheard her telling them yeah he started racing on my bicycle, a ladies bicycle when he was in high school, the one i bought to ride to my badminton club every Thursday ... and messed up my chain-guard :D