When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lesson learning

imajedi

Well it was bound to happen. You tinker enough and eventually you break something. I have a really awesome Franken Pam 089 with gen dial and hands. It has an H-factory Crystal with fantastic AR. The only problem was, the mag on the cyclops was such that it made you dizzy whenever you checked the date. You guys know what I mean, it's only clear when you close one eye. So I found a replacement on eBay. Got it installed (almost) and loved it. The replacement had a great AR and a perfect cyclops. Awesome!!!

Only problem was it stopped about 0.5 mm from seating all the way down. Of course for my OCD ass that's not good enough so I'll push real hard and get it seated. Oops

64a843b10f2a52e27235c124ec367501.jpg

So $70 later I have another Crystal on the way. I also ordered a better press and micrometer to check tolerances. Fingers crossed I can get this one in perfect.

Imajedi, gen cyclops' have that same distortion btw

Really? Just for the 089? I've seen a bunch of gens up close and never seen distortion like on the H-factory model. The problem was the mag was so strong that the entire date more than filled the window so only one eye could see the entire date at a time while the other eye would see it distorted. If you closed one eye you could make the date just fit pretty clearly at the right angle.

You can see the date on the crystal I cracked is nowhere near that strong and the date is easily readable with almost no distortion even with both eyes open. From my experience looking at a gen 104, this is much more like the gen.

• 3 weeks later...

2c4ea9c852bb8cd6ea0c8b977b3f4cd7.jpg3ea4ec0e8f1e77af94ee4f828dbc0181.jpg Got the new replacement Crystal and new more expensive press and everything is back together and working perfectly. So happy with the new Crystal and cyclops mag. No more oversized distorted date. Just perfect. Definitely recommend this replacement. Only thing I would say is the AR is a little purple but it's not as bad as the typical rep and on this model doesn't show at all because of the dial color. Besides, I can fix the AR if needed.