When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Bit Of Xmas (is That X-mas!) Eye Candy.

Finepics

Here's a couple of pics of my 3646 with it's new dial. This one started as a rep dial which I modded a bit then off to the printers for the dial lettering (copied from a gen dial). This is really a temp dial as the proper one will be brown when I can get the colour right!! Note the resin filled markers and I kept the lume colour fairly neutral as not all 3646's have orange markers. Enjoy.

172840-9155.jpg

172840-9156.jpg

172840-9157.jpg

172840-9158.jpg

Wow Mark, thats the best i have ever seen.....I think you should wear it or should have worn it to the shin dig. (im not sure if it had past).......Also, i am loving the pam40 you just made for me, it also looks great but now i want a 3646 just like that, you are a true artist..............Wan

For those of you that don't know I have done a helluva lot of work on this. Refined and re-shaped the rep case, made new SS strap bars which are welded into the case, recessed and welded the case tube in the case so it's flush (some were like this), had the crown engraved (although not perfect), had a new bezel made (by a member here) along with a proper plexi glass crystal, had the strap made specially, fitted with a Cortebert 616 (courtesy of another member here), had the dial specially printed, filled the markers with resin and relumed under dial, stripped hands of paint then aged to tarnish the brass etc etc. Been a long road to get this far and I have to say the pics do not do it justice. It really does look old.

Basically that would have been a DSN sandwich dial that I simply filled in the markers with superlume that was coloured with inkjet ink to make it more orangey. Then it was sprayed with a satin lacquer. The hands were done with a more white lume as all the photos of gens I have are like this. Actually my own 5218 has had a few changes recently. Same technique for the dial. I had an old case lying around that was a sample from DSN when he first started some time ago and I was looking at this recently and realised that it had a very shallow bezel (just like the gen comparison shown on the Paneristi site) so I swapped that over and although it does not have a nylon retaining ring it fitted ok. So now my crystal sits proud of the bezel and the bottom edge lip is very shallow. My case is one of those odd ones that just happened to have the correct lug shape for the 201A and I also have a gen H series CG coming soon which will finish that off nicely. There may also be some developments with a more accurate 201A dial sometime next year - I have already been working on the artwork for it as the DSN dial could have been printed better but I'm not going to say anymore about that as it may not happen for a while.

Basically that would have been a DSN sandwich dial that I simply filled in the markers with superlume that was coloured with inkjet ink to make it more orangey. Then it was sprayed with a satin lacquer. The hands were done with a more white lume as all the photos of gens I have are like this. Actually my own 5218 has had a few changes recently. Same technique for the dial. I had an old case lying around that was a sample from DSN when he first started some time ago and I was looking at this recently and realised that it had a very shallow bezel (just like the gen comparison shown on the Paneristi site) so I swapped that over and although it does not have a nylon retaining ring it fitted ok. So now my crystal sits proud of the bezel and the bottom edge lip is very shallow. My case is one of those odd ones that just happened to have the correct lug shape for the 201A and I also have a gen H series CG coming soon which will finish that off nicely. There may also be some developments with a more accurate 201A dial sometime next year - I have already been working on the artwork for it as the DSN dial could have been printed better but I'm not going to say anymore about that as it may not happen for a while.

That will be a heck of a development, I will wait for that.

That's good news for you on the H series CG. That will be a nice addition. I'm certainly excited for the crown guard project in the other thread. Thanks for letting us know that it's still happening.

One thing I've noticed on the 201A is that the printing is a bit thin, not as BOLD as the gen. Maybe that's a fix Davidsen can muster.

Thanks for the response.

believe me I've been on and on at DSN to sort that printing with no joy and these dials are no longer available.

@babola - you get the prize for spotting the flaw. This dial is only temporary - the print is the wrong height because the printing plate has been made for a smaller dia dial and is in the right place - just the colour is not right yet so this was done as a quick way to sort the watch into a wearer!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Mark,

Just wondering where you got the hands and the crown? I have a cal. 616 as well that I would like to do a project on, but have been told by a reliable source that getting the appropriate hands and crown will be an issue.

Thanx

Eddy

Crown was modified from the original and hand engraved (not brilliant but better than it was!!). The hands are a mix of ETA and Molnija taken from 2 other reps that were parts donors. I stripped the black paint off and aged the brass in vinegar for a couple of days to tarnish them.