When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Possible move to Atlanta. Need advice

tframo

Hi guys.   I might be taking a promotion but I would have to move to Atlanta from Charlotte.  I don't know much about Atlanta so I'm seeking advice from my friends here 

We don't necessarily need to be inside the loop, although we would like the ability to walk to restaurants, shops, town center etc without being too far out in the suburbs.    

Ideally something on the NW side since this would be my territory 

thanks in advance for your suggestions

Atlanta is really nice.

think 10 months of decent weather.

In the last five years the actual city proper has exploded with suburban people taking up roots intown + people moving from other cities/countries.

I give the same advice I give to people moving to Los Angeles:

LIVE NEAR WHERE YOU WORK.

Like, for real...(to use American vernacular) live near where you work.

The traffic in Atlanta is bad during the day and usually doesn't clear out until 8-9pm.

So figure out where you'll have to go every day and live in the closest interesting place for you.

Keep your head up, and stay safe.

The city isn't the safest place. It's just not. 

Especially compared to CLT.

Never leave anything valuable in your car, there's a good chance if you live in town once a year your window will be broken/car broken into... 

especially if you live anywhere other than Buckhead/Brookhaven or the suburbs.

now, I'm not recommending living in Buckhead, mind you, there isn't too much fun stuff there...

VaHi, Inman Park, Midtown, West Midtown, Little 5, Cabbagetown, Candler Park, Decatur, etc etc etc all have their charms and if you have the ability to live in one of these older walkable neighborhoods do it.

Most of these 'hoods are experiencing a great deal of infill- condos and apartment complexes etc going up everywhere if that's your thing.

Me, I prefer a '20s - '50s bungalow with a patio/porch! :)

I spent almost 20 years in Atlanta in total, it's a great place.

Lots of good people, good food, and heartbreakingly agonizing professional sports.

Atlanta is really nice.

think 10 months of decent weather.

In the last five years the actual city proper has exploded with suburban people taking up roots intown + people moving from other cities/countries.

I give the same advice I give to people moving to Los Angeles:

LIVE NEAR WHERE YOU WORK.

Like, for real...(to use American vernacular) live near where you work.

The traffic in Atlanta is bad during the day and usually doesn't clear out until 8-9pm.

So figure out where you'll have to go every day and live in the closest interesting place for you.

Keep your head up, and stay safe.

The city isn't the safest place. It's just not. 

Especially compared to CLT.

Never leave anything valuable in your car, there's a good chance if you live in town once a year your window will be broken/car broken into... 

especially if you live anywhere other than Buckhead/Brookhaven or the suburbs.

now, I'm not recommending living in Buckhead, mind you, there isn't too much fun stuff there...

VaHi, Inman Park, Midtown, West Midtown, Little 5, Cabbagetown, Candler Park, Decatur, etc etc etc all have their charms and if you have the ability to live in one of these older walkable neighborhoods do it.

Most of these 'hoods are experiencing a great deal of infill- condos and apartment complexes etc going up everywhere if that's your thing.

Me, I prefer a '20s - '50s bungalow with a patio/porch! :)

I spent almost 20 years in Atlanta in total, it's a great place.

Lots of good people, good food, and heartbreakingly agonizing professional sports.

thanks for the insight!   I'm still very much undecided.    I really like Charlotte and the money isn't that much more when factoring in cost of living, and the wife finding a new job...