When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Denali

JoeyB

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

He says he did it to be sensitive to the needs of native Alaskans.

If he truly cared about "the needs of native Alaskans" he'd open NPR-A and the Coastal Plain so we could drill OUR oil off OUR land, and let us have jobs, and heat our homes.

It's all politics.  I've been here over 50 years and everybody I know calls in McKinley.  Besides, the Koyukon (Athabaskan) call it Denali, but the Dena'ina people call it Dghelay Ka'a.  It's also been called Tenada, Bulshaya, Densmore's Peak and Mount Allen.  The Koyukon live near to Denali, and the Dena'ina live near to Dghelay Ka'a.  So why do the Athabaskans "win"?

If he wants to rename it, the least he can do is be honest about it.  But then again, we're a feisty bunch, prone to individualism.

/rant off

Sweet!  what part of Alaska?  Hope you're not in Seward, Dillingham or Kotz.... what a zoo!

Fearless Leader is hiking to Exit glacier today to showcase the ravages of global warming, and filming an episode of the Bear Gyllis "survival" show along the trail.  I suspect both will be equally believable as pertains to reality.

• Like 1

I was born in Fairbanks, but raised in Anchorage. I briefly lived in Dillingham as a child, too young to remember it much, I'm glad I'm not there right now though. I can't even force myself to watch any of the Alaska based "reality" shows. Nauseating performances by these people.

I understand that you're from Alaska as well, I was thinking near the anchorage bowl if I remember correctly. I've actually added a couple of your threads to my favorites, I make sure to check out the big gonzo build every once in awhile to remind myself how a good vintage is done

Thanks, I worked pretty hard on the Big Gonzo.  I live up in the mountains SE of Anchorage, just under McHugh Peak.

Did you see the news last night with the people lining the highway into Seward?  Some guy was holding a sign that said "HIDE THE WOMEN, THE SECRET SERVICE IS IN TOWN".

Love it!

I didn't. I usually don't catch local news unless I'm off shift for a bit. I'm somewhat surprised how much people are making of this visit, but maybe that's because I've been able to a void all of it.

That area is very nice. I haven't been to the creek in a long time now, but I always gaze at everything on the way to Girdwood.

Yeah, the scenery and the flavor of the area is great.  And last night I saw a big mama black bear and two yearlings in the yard, two bull moose on the road, a mama moose and her calf, and down by the park another mama moose with two calves.  Who needs the zoo?!

How about those Ospreys flying around?  What a new, bizarre sound they make.  Wow.

That's definitely why people stay up here. I don't get much of it in the "city" besides moose. Moose everywhere. I haven't seen the Ospreys. I'll have to look them up online to hear the sound in action. They look big though. I really like to see birds of prey in action.

We actually went to the zoo recently just to see how much it's changed. Turns out, not much. But it was still a decent visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk