When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help me mod my DW 6239!

autlnd

So, I have a DW 6239 that I am looking to mod as much as I can without breaking the bank. It is a standard A7750 movement with the rotor removed, however it seems like the stem is too short because it will not wind unless I hold it out in the position where it screws down to the case, without it screwing down (if that makes sense), and the chronos are stuck.....the member who sold it to me should have warned me..... I have communicated with some modders who are willing to fix the problem for me, however I want more done. 

I have a Clark 21 crystal ready to be installed, but I am also looking at a Phong PN 6239 dial (http://jewelryandwatch.com/contents/en-us/d74_01.html). Will this fit on a A7750 movement in a DW case? Is there another movement that's not insanely expensive that would fit this case that would be better and give it some weight? 

I am open to suggestions or if anyone has some parts to sell me I would love to take a look. 

ddddddddddddddd.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

I am not a Daytona expert by any means, and there are lots of guys here that have built some awesome Daytonas. AFA the dial, you need to find out if it is a dial for the A7750 or the Val 72. They are not interchangeable. If it's a 7750 dial, you are OK, otherwise it's a no go. The hands are not interchangeable either, so you pretty much have to stick with 7750 compatible parts all the way. Cosmetically, you can install a better Crystal, gen crown, and that's pretty much it outside of a gen bracelet and endlinks. There are some fairly decent 7750 dials around, but the best 7750 is not going to be as good as the best Val72 dial.

Hopefully some of the real experts can chime in and give you more and better advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ditto panerai153's comments. What you have looks very good now. I cannot think of any gen parts that will be cost efficient in terms of their relatively high cost vs low improvement over your current parts. Yes, you can swap your bracelet, crown & xtal for gens, but, from an arm's distance, I doubt I could tell the difference & I am pretty familiar with them.

On the other hand, if you have the financial (& testicular, if building your own) wherewithal to enter the V72-powered arena, I would start from scratch, gathering as many gen parts as you can find/afford & either keep (as a back-up) this watch or sell it.

Interesting, thanks panerai153 and freddy333 !  I guess I need to just be a little more complacent with the DW and just get the stem fixed!  I have a clark 21 ready to be swapped so I will just send it along with the watch to get serviced. 

I will however be starting from scratch on a 6265. I have zeroed in on the dial I want to use (Phong) I just need a case to start with, without breaking the bank! If anyone has a link to where I can find a cartel case, please post!

Thanks again!

I believe that is a good plan, Clarks and the stem fixed. Wear it for a while and make sure a Daytona fits your style. Remember, no date, manual wind. Those features along with it's relatively small size( by today's standards) make it very much a niche watch. If you decide that it's a good fit for you, then you should proceed with gathering parts. Keep and eye out on all the forums in their parts section. Make sure that what you are looking to buy fits. With rep builds, "just because it looks like it fits, doesn't mean that it will"!!

This is not a cheap build, and it's certainly not for the faint of heart!! Over the years I have seen a lot of partially completed Daytonas for sale, usually because the builder ran out of funds, patience,interest or a combination of the three.

Words to remember, "Plan your build, build your plan" Set a budget and try to stick with it as much as possible. If you don't, you may end up with a watch that ends up costing a whole lot more than you expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would agree with the others on not throwing a lot of money at a DW 7750 based Daytona.

If you want, you could buy a gen 7835 bracelet, gen T-21, and gen crown/tube, which could all be swapped over to a v72 based build if you decide to pursue it later.

To this point... Is this a good V72? I feel like this is a good price. Question is, will it fit the DW case... 

http://rolexandtudor.com/r_watch_details.php?rid=1907#