When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 036 Real or Fake

imajedi

Hard to say, but I have seen this mismatch of CG to case in A & B series.

The price is very low for an item in this amazing condition as well.

Also, not sure why he wouldn't include the photo of the watch in the box.

If I was serious about buying this, I'd be very careful and at minimum wanting a face to face and a direct confirmation from Panerai on the authenticity.

Hard to say, but I have seen this mismatch of CG to case in A & B series.

The price is very low for an item in this amazing condition as well.

Also, not sure why he wouldn't include the photo of the watch in the box.

If I was serious about buying this, I'd be very careful and at minimum wanting a face to face and a direct confirmation from Panerai on the authenticity.

I'm not a buyer, just thought the CG case mismatch was just too off to be gen. Interesting to know it does happen in some gens.

20000€ for a LSwissL dialled 036 is still a lot of cash. Mental really given the 100$ movement. Looks Gen. I thing the CG might not be screwed in properly and the photos magnify the gap

It's definitely not the way it's screwed on. The surface of the CG that mates with the case was not made at exactly the same contour as the surface of the case. In particular, the ends do not curve down enough or the inner wall of the CG is slightly to large which causes the ends to stick up. I see this on the rep cases all the time, especially the titanium ones. I filed mine down to match better which is why I noticed it and immediately thought rep

• Like 1

It's definitely not the way it's screwed on. The surface of the CG that mates with the case was not made at exactly the same contour as the surface of the case. In particular, the ends do not curve down enough or the inner wall of the CG is slightly to large which causes the ends to stick up. I see this on the rep cases all the time, especially the titanium ones. I filed mine down to match better which is why I noticed it and immediately thought rep

I've seen reps and early gens with a case to CG mismatch... sad, but true.

Isn't it odd that he writes up this as a unique tritium dial when it has then l Swiss l and not the t Swiss t?

Yes, this is odd... The devil is in the details, although I see the guy has a high post count on watchuseek

This story could go either way... in the end, I'd need a hell of a lot of convincing to go with this as gen IF I was considering it.

This is real. The CG was likely replaced when the luminova service dial and hands were installed, explaining the potential mismatch. 

What a shame to put a luminova dial on such an iconic watch. 

It appears to be a B series , so the dial is probably the dial it originally came with .

check the catalogue http://postimg.org/image/tbdmh8zgf

This ebay example has a dodgy CGhttp://r.ebay.com/f53bWT

I think we forget that in 1998 quality wasn't a big thing 

Panerai-PAM036-LuminorMarina-Militare-Ma

Edited by StormTooper4

The PAM036B was originally sold with a tritium dial.  In the proceeding years a few people have sent their watches in for service and had them replaced with Luminova service dials. If you see a 36B L SWISS L dial it is in a watch that has been sent for service.  Like this one below...

EC441510-C9DC-4770-8B1C-AC33CD71DB2C.jpg

side by side: Tritium versus Luminova (Tritium is better LOL)

187E2CD1-B6CA-4F69-A57F-3C3E419E6EEA.jpg

It appears to be a B series , so the dial is probably the dial it originally came with .

check the catalogue http://postimg.org/image/tbdmh8zgf

This ebay example has a dodgy CGhttp://r.ebay.com/f53bWT

I think we forget that in 1998 quality wasn't a big thing 

Panerai-PAM036-LuminorMarina-Militare-Man-_25675-DNls-150811_.jpg

Holy cow that's atrocious!!! It's not even close to fitting. It's like driving around a Ferrari with donut spare tire on one of the wheels. LoL