When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Careful when preparing the 15400

GenTLe

I wanted to put this in the how-to section but looks like I can't post there (at least from tapatalk).

So I received a nice shiny115400 TFactory and, as I do for all my newcomers, I proceeded to regulate it and grease all the gaskets.

Well, be careful with them because the part with the movement is just "sandwiched" between the case back and the bezel with front crystal.

What I mean is that when you unscrew the caseback (supposedly having the watch laying flat face down) the whole case is disassembled!

If you lift the watch at that point, the bezel and the 8 screws will remain on the working surface and the movement and its ring will stay more or less in place just because of the stem...

My suggestion is to wrap together bezel and case BEFORE unscrew the case back:

d264fb79a64c411f961f479fa078500c.jpg

That way the movement middle case and bezel will stay in place BUT you can't then grease the bezel gaskets.

If you want to grease the 2 bezel gaskets too (like I did), then it is a bit more complicated: you should not put the tape, but remove the case back while the watch is laying on a surface that you can lift. After you removed the case back then lift the whole working surface together with the watch head and, keeping an hand on the watch so that it stays in contact with the working surface, rotate everything to have then this situation (note that in the pic the case back and bracelet are attached just because this is an example pic, in the reality you shouldn't have both):

c0ddc16c66f5158ab5fb50bc5d4ff19b.jpg

Then you can remove the working surface (piece of flat wood in upper pic), put the watch on the table and lift the bezel to grease the gaskets.

Do everything in the reverse order to have it back face down and being able to close it again.

Cheers, GenTLe.

Ah, the regulated and checked finished one:

700a5dba594746063229c57ede7e1c49.jpg

They are an interesting construction thats for sure, I was surprised the first time I had one in for refurbishment, and refinishing.  The movement is secured to a inner thick, weighted ring/spacer.  The mid-case tube secured to it, you can get the central weight out without removing the crown tube, but I prefer to simply remove the tube anyways seeing as I need it out the way for re-brushing the case.

Some of these new AP's sec@12 models are interesting too with the way they are constructed, similar to a jigsaw puzzle lol

Edited by SSTEEL