When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Navitimer's Chrono Reset At Between 1 And 2 Instead Of 12

dvn

Hi The Zigmeister,

I have recently received a new Breitling Navitimer TT from River the watch works ok and the chrono work fairly ok but it did not reset to 12 but instead at between 1 and 2. Is it a easy fix?

Thank you in advance The Zigmeister,

nguyendd

Hi mate

The hand probably slipped during shipping, and it needs to be reset to the 12 o'clock position manually.

Its an easy fix, but only if you know how to remove the movement from the case.

That about sums it up, also dont' reset between anywhere but 10 and 2, otherwise you risk it slipping...

Removal, and gluing it down is the fix.

RG

Guest JOHN PERCY

Perhaps Im thick but isnt the simplest and cheapest method to pull out the crown to the time set position and then press the top stopwatch button which advances the stopwatch hand one second. If the top button is kept pressed the stopwatch hand advances until the button is released. When the stopwatch hand reaches 12 then press in the crown. Is this a secret that only I know or is everyone trying to drum up trade for the local watchnmenders association.

Try it, if it works Im a genius as Ive always said. If it doesnt work I was joking and not serious and Im still a genius.

Perhaps Im thick but isnt the simplest and cheapest method to pull out the crown to the time set position and then press the top stopwatch button which advances the stopwatch hand one second. If the top button is kept pressed the stopwatch hand advances until the button is released. When the stopwatch hand reaches 12 then press in the crown. Is this a secret that only I know or is everyone trying to drum up trade for the local watchnmenders association.

Try it, if it works Im a genius as Ive always said. If it doesnt work I was joking and not serious and Im still a genius.

Tried it and did not work. When pulling the crown to the set time position and trying to press the top stopwatch button the stopwatch did not move at all.

But thank you for your suggestion.

This works for some quartz-powered chronographs. Never with automatics.

• 4 weeks later...
On the asian 7750 reps, the Chrono is just a strange beast to begin with.

I've had the same problem you mentioned. I also thought it was that the hand slipped. But, when I took it in to my trusty watch smith, one of the chrono's wheels was misaligned. The fix was replacing the wheel.

On another asian 7750 I've had the chrono work fairly solidly until one point when the hours chrono wouldn't disengage. Of all the chrono's to not disengage the hours chrono was the best one to have that happen to. I currently use it as a GMT dial ;)

Jon

I had this issue on 2 Swiss 7750s and a couple of Asia 7750s, in most cases it is the hand having slipped and it doesn't generally mean that you have a bad movement.

I've glued the hand on my 192. Just set the hand properly, the put the tiniest amount of epoxy on the tip of a scalpel. Just touch that to the center of the second hand and allow to dry. It really doesn't take much glue to secure it. Mine now resets perfectly from anywhere on the dial.

I used some bluetac on my Navitimer. I removed the hand, took a very small ball of bluetac, pressed it in the shaft of the hand and pressed the hand back on the pinion, removed the excessive bluetac which came out on top and voila!!!.. no more slipping hand. The bluetac provides enough friction not to let the hand slip..... and the best of all... it's no glue so you still can get the hand off if necessary (eg. servicing).

I forgot to mention.. I used a white bluetac called 'Prit buddy'.

Edited by Rolexman

THe hand slippage is not normally between the hand and the shaft (chrono seconds shaft that is), but the actual tube on the hand. The tube is not rivited hard enough to the hand and it can slip...

Here is the way I fix it...not for the faint of heart...

Apply glue here

190605-4972.jpg

side view, not too thick on the glue...

190605-4973.jpg

GLUE installed, should look like this.

190605-4974.jpg

190605-4975.jpg

If the hand to the post is slipping, a small amount of glue on the tip of the post, and THEN installing the hand usually fixes it...

Putting glue on the top, as you can see in the above pics, does little, since the post and the tube are both below the hand, not on top of it.

RG

THe hand slippage is not normally between the hand and the shaft (chrono seconds shaft that is), but the actual tube on the hand. The tube is not rivited hard enough to the hand and it can slip...

Here is the way I fix it...not for the faint of heart...

I thought to myself ... that looks hard. So, I did it on my 7753-powered 196. :blink:

Yes, it's really, really scary when you do it for the first time on a $650 watch. :Jumpy:

Did it work? Did I make a fool of myself?

(hint: I have no hand-removal tools)