When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Super-Luminova's characteristics when working with it

8o8

Hi The Zigmeister, I was wondering if you can shed some light on the consistancy and ease of use of the Super-Luminova?

Is it a really thick consistancy almost gel like? or is it more like nail polish/paint like?

What do you use to apply this?

How quickly (or long) does it dry out?

I dont know what else I need to know about this material....

I am asking because I was interested in getting some for my PAM111H :D but dont know how hard it is to work with it.

BTW, I love your informational posts. They are just brilliant. and the pictures are excellent... really helpful for those that are not famililar with the terms and can get a visual of what you are talking about

Edited by 8o8

Thanks for the question and the kind words...

I have never posted a "How-To" for Re-Luming for a few reasons, including the fact that there is no room for error at all, if you touch the dial with the lume, the watch is ruined. So if I posted a How-To, you can be guaranteed that people would ruin their dials and get [censored] at me for having posted it...

Also, unless your accustomed to working with a loupe on your eye, trying to learn to work with a loupe, while also trying to relume a dial, is a disaster waiting to happen. If you never used a loupe, you don't realize that with a loupe on, you have no depth perception, it takes two eyes to judge depth, with only one, it's not easy to tell how far or close things are... Since I service and repair watches on a regular basis, I have trained myself to work with a loupe and can use that experience to work with lume.

Also consider that I have been an oil painter for years, and that skill is very handy for reluming...here's an example of a painting I did...I have been painting for 30+ years...

15386-3462.jpg

I used my painting skills to help me with reluming, and even then, I practiced and practiced, and then tried reluming on two of my own watches, before I attempted to do anyone else's...and I damaged both of my watches on my first lume attempt...so much for painting skills being handy....

The other thing is that I have spend countless hours teaching myself to relume, and I think I am very good at it now. I have no interest of taking my hard earned skills and giving it away to others, this may sound selfish, but I give a lot to the forum, and share as much as I can with everyone...but this one is one that has cost me a lot of investmemnt in time and money, and I am not prepared to simply give it away.

Added to this, I have gotten "Hate Mail" from people who are mad that I posts "How-To" articles, because I made it look too "easy" and they damaged their watch because of me... So imagine the amount of carnage I would cause if I tried to post a "How-To Relume your watch" post...

The cost of Super Luminova is about 42 + 40 (shipping) CH Swiss franks... for 1 gram, it's very expensive. You can always buy some lume, read the kit instructions, and play around with it and practice and then do your own. It can be done, others here are doing it on a regular basis, so it's a skill that can be developed, but don't expect to be able to relume a dial at the first go at it... I know this is not the answer your probably expecting, but I think my reasons are quite valid and appropriate.

Sorry for the long answer but I just didn't want to brush you off...

RG

do you do that for money (the painting)?! if so, how much do you charge? :)

Not any more, I did for years and sold many works.

But I am taking a break from painting for now, as a single dad, I have little spare time - and I have a new "Frau" in my life also...so no time to paint...only time to fix watches...

Here is another one I did...don't mean to hijack the thread...

15420-3457.jpg

RG

<_< Rob, the paintings are great, but you did a poor luming job on these airplanes :lol:

haha, of course he wouldnt put too much lume on the planes, then the enemies would know when they are coming a mile away

The paintings does look great, and it would seem that you also have an interest in the bi-planes.

Thanks for your reply regarding my question. I can appreciate what you are saying. I've got 101 things going through my head, and I often have good intentions to start a project but never find the time to do it anyways. It was more of a wanted to know the probability of me being able to do something or not not... The simplest might be look at some of the dials and hands thats pre suerp-lumed and lear to take the watch apart and put back together :)

cheers

• 2 weeks later...