When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Most Straight Forward 1675 build

UmpaHimself

Hey guys,

I'm sure these questions come up a bunch so forgive me. I just purchased a 1675 from Toro. It's a very nice out of the box rep but I can see a few things that may cause issues for later modification so I am currently trying to decide if I should keep it stock and just do another build. I have seen many posts regarding a 1675 build based on the PC 1655, WSO bezel assembly, Yuki dial, Asian low beat movement and a Clarks crystal. From All these posts I'm coming across seem to be from around 2010-2013 and my question is if that is still the most common build or if there are better options now in 2015. Also, not sure if the 1655 is still available. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For fun, here is the one I got from Toro that I've aged a bit.

5dGYyYk.jpg

F4I1Qqs.jpg

Umm, the thickness of these cases will never get you remotely close to that of a 1675. Akira once told me, "doesn't matter how much you MOD a cartel, you can't quite get the look."

I just saved some cash and purchased a gen a while back from HQmilton for those very reasons. After having it n my hands it all made sense. The 1675 is very slim and there is only so much you can trim from a cartel before ruining the entire case.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

^^^^this, very similar story. I did a really nice franken build with a cartel 1675 and while it looked the part from face on, the case is too thick.  Sent it to Rolex Addict to modify the case and he does nice work, but even with his modding and all the genuine parts the case still drove me nuts so I sold it and bought a gen.  Also a gen takes a 5.3mm crown and the cartel cases come with a 6 or 7mm depending on which one you use.  So if you use the 5.3 the gap is too large in the cg's.  We stacked a gen, a yuki, a phong and a modded cartel case on top of each other once and while the phong was better than the others it still was not quite as "elegant" as the gen.  If you read RA's section on Repgeek or RWI (I don't remember which one), he suggests using the new 1675 set up now.  He use to recommend the 1655.  

Even though they have increased in value quite a bit the last year or so, you can still pick a gen up fairly reasonable.  16700/0 can still be had in the 5K range in decent shape.  Of all the watches I have ever had a vintage 1675 on a jubilee is the most comfortable watch to wear for me.  The thin and light case and very shallow case back just wears really nice and flat on the wrist.      

Edit: also I think the picture you posted looks great for what it is.  Nice fade job on the insert.  

Edited by droptopman

What do you guys think about a more modern GMT build, say, a 16710?

I think you still run into the case thickness issue.  Although I have not done much research on this in the last year, so maybe someone else has seen something new.  

I think you still run into the case thickness issue.  Although I have not done much research on this in the last year, so maybe someone else has seen something new.  

Hmm, shame that startime doesn't make a 16710 case. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if anyone makes a 16710 case!

Umm, the thickness of these cases will never get you remotely close to that of a 1675. Akira once told me, "doesn't matter how much you MOD a cartel, you can't quite get the look."

I just saved some cash and purchased a gen a while back from HQmilton for those very reasons. After having it n my hands it all made sense. The 1675 is very slim and there is only so much you can trim from a cartel before ruining the entire case.

^^^^this, very similar story. I did a really nice franken build with a cartel 1675 and while it looked the part from face on, the case is too thick.  Sent it to Rolex Addict to modify the case and he does nice work, but even with his modding and all the genuine parts the case still drove me nuts so I sold it and bought a gen.  Also a gen takes a 5.3mm crown and the cartel cases come with a 6 or 7mm depending on which one you use.  So if you use the 5.3 the gap is too large in the cg's.  We stacked a gen, a yuki, a phong and a modded cartel case on top of each other once and while the phong was better than the others it still was not quite as "elegant" as the gen.  If you read RA's section on Repgeek or RWI (I don't remember which one), he suggests using the new 1675 set up now.  He use to recommend the 1655.  

Even though they have increased in value quite a bit the last year or so, you can still pick a gen up fairly reasonable.  16700/0 can still be had in the 5K range in decent shape.  Of all the watches I have ever had a vintage 1675 on a jubilee is the most comfortable watch to wear for me.  The thin and light case and very shallow case back just wears really nice and flat on the wrist.      

Edit: also I think the picture you posted looks great for what it is.  Nice fade job on the insert.  

Interesting points both of you make. But I am ok with it not being perfect. I accept that these are reps and the factories probably make a lot less $$ off the vintage as opposed to the modern watches so the updates are not as frequent or accurate. That's why I am interested in doing a fairly basic build just to get the best bang for the buck and not go crazy with case modification or gen parts.

However, I may just stick with the watch I have above if it won't even get me close to perfect and I think the crown and crown guards are pretty cool on this one. The case is definitely too thick though. The bezel is what bothers me the most. Its much taller and has deeper cutouts then the gen.

• Like 1

My 1675 is made using a cartel 1655. I used a genuine 5.3mm crown. The key to making the case look thin is to have a proper bevel on the top line of the case, and take the bottom line down to thin.

My 16710 is built to the specs listed by bklm1234: https://rwg.cc/topic/144657-making-a-gen-style-16710-case-out-of-a-16570-case-and-tw-bezel-assembly?page=2

side view.JPG

My Cornino.JPG

Nice, look forward to seeing this. 

here is a pic on top of my gen 66, i have taken the case down quite substantially, that's a 5mm crown also.

(I haven't shaped yet or finished my cgs) first stages. 

D446BB3F-38B9-4E6F-B86B-3F9C4917B442_zps

Edited by Dlf

here is a pic on top of my gen 66, i have taken the case down quite substantially, that's a 5mm crown also.

(I haven't shaped yet or finished my cgs) first stages. 

On top is the gen? The top of the lugs look kind of weird where they meet the bezel, like a sharp cutoff. Very interested to see how you shape the CGs. The more I read the more I want to give up on this build :(

I've posted this a million times here, the 1675,16750 is the most difficult vintage Rolex to get right there is. The case is thin, the crown guards are spaced for the tiny 5.3mm crown, all the rep cases are too thick and the crown guards are for a 6mm crown which leaves a huge gap when you try to use a 5.3 mm crown in your build.

The only solution is to try to take the case thickness down as much as possible, laser weld the crown guards to fill in the gaps and reshape them. Only with a lot of work can you get a case that is fairly close to gen.

. A 2836 converted to a GMT is and option, also an ETA 2893-2 will work.

Good luck, just realize this one isn't easy!!!

Here is my gen 16750

1ef34a0b8d4ee6b79c5fda85b6ceaa0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umpa the top is a rep case which I laser welded and I'm making it into a pcg 1675. Don't give up !

Interesting. I hope you post a thread about this one. Very interested to see your results.

I've posted this a million times here, the 1675,16750 is the most difficult vintage Rolex to get right there is. The case is thin, the crown guards are spaced for the tiny 5.3mm crown, all the rep cases are too thick and the crown guards are for a 6mm crown which leaves a huge gap when you try to use a 5.3 mm crown in your build.

The only solution is to try to take the case thickness down as much as possible, laser weld the crown guards to fill in the gaps and reshape them. Only with a lot of work can you get a case that is fairly close to gen.

. A 2836 converted to a GMT is and option, also an ETA 2893-2 will work.

Good luck, just realize this one isn't easy!!!

Yeah, that's exactly what I am starting to realize. I am also starting to realize that asking how to build one is kind of like a higher level of "who has the best sub?" But because so many people have done so many different builds the info can kind of get jumbled up. But I guess I was more asking what is the best bang for buck 1675 build. I know it will be far from perfect but it will at least give me the feel.

Here is my gen 16750

Oh yeah... Awesome watch btw!