When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

vintage rail watch

johnnynorway

Hard to say without opening the caseback, a look on the movement could possibly reveal more. The configuration is typical and very similar to the Cortebert Spéciale, cal 616. I have this for a vintage PAM build as the movement is the same/similar to the Rolex used in first PAMs. Solid winding, good time-keeping after all these Years:)

C616G_2898_zpsb58ba0c7.jpg

C616G_2901c_zpsebd6f87b.jpg

Many watches similar to this are called 'train watches' and were not RR approved but looked like RR watches. Yours may or may not be one of them. I do not recognize the brand logo but someone on the forum might.

Most RR approved watches will be 18 or 16 size, 21 jewels, adjusted, usually lever set (not pendant set), and have a serial numbered movement with all claims engraved...jewel count, adjustment etc. Most will be in yellow or white gold filled cases, a few in stainless steel, silver, German silver, Silveroid, or chrome plated.. very few in solid gold. Different RR companies had different requirements and some even accepted 17 jewel pendent set watches commonly known as 'transportation watches'.

Open the watch up and see what type of movement it has. RR approved pocket watches such as BW Raymond (Elgin), Waltham Crescent Street, Hamilton 992 and 992B all have finely decorated movements, adjusted, lever set etc. On lever set PW you have to unscrew the bezel and pull a small lever out and set the time with the crown. The crown does not click in and out of setting position like a standard PW or wristwatch.

I have one similar to yours and it is branded 'Baylor' (Zale Royal Jewelers USA), has a Unitas 6497 (now called Eta 6497) and was made in the early 1970s with a train engraved on the chrome plated case. It needs c/o now but ran within 10 or 12 seconds a day for years. I paid $39 for it new in 1974 in Bristol TN, USA.

http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/how-to/case-material.php

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2016 at 11:49 PM, Mike on a bike said:

Sorry no idea but looks pretty cool, no markings names at all on it If so maybe have to open case look at movement.

The A stands for ALPINA watch I think

On 1/4/2016 at 11:52 PM, Nightwatch said:

Hard to say without opening the caseback, a look on the movement could possibly reveal more. The configuration is typical and very similar to the Cortebert Spéciale, cal 616. I have this for a vintage PAM build as the movement is the same/similar to the Rolex used in first PAMs. Solid winding, good time-keeping after all these Years:)

C616G_2898_zpsb58ba0c7.jpg

C616G_2901c_zpsebd6f87b.jpg

I havent opened yet..but think the A stand for ALPINA watch