When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First Build - Explorer

Mike_G

This will be my first build. After a lot of thought I've decided to do a vintage style Explorer. My initial thoughts are to use an ETA movement. What am I in for in terms of finding and fitting the appropriate case, movement ring, dial, hands, stem, crown and crystal. I know there are a ton of things I don't know about or haven't thought of and I want to plan the project out completely before I start spending money on parts.

Thanks in advance ... Mike

Try doing a search for 1016 builds. There is a complete parts list for mine in my build thread (for example), but there are many ways to do them. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

To get you started, I would specifically look for threads that talk about JMB's cases and bezels.

This was also hard for me in the beginning and took way too much time to research. So let me help you.

Dial Options:

Whoopy (contact on this forum, great guy, very informative)

Yuki watch - They have several options, work with ETA style movement, fast turn around and great response. Another plus is that it comes with hand set that fits ETA style movement,

Case:

In my opinion? JMB all the way.  He is a member here and has a phenomenal looking case.

Movement:

ETA of your choice, depending on how much you want to spend.

Hope this helps some what.  It is actually much easier than it seems at first.

Cheers

2824, 2783, 2784, or if you want an 18k vph movement Felsa 4XXX or ETA 2451...  I'm sure there are others too.

DISCLAIMER - The Felsa and ETA 2451 require a little "determination" to fit...

Scored a 2783 on eBay for $20 advertised as complete and running but unserviced. Still unsure whether to have it service or choose something different

Edited by Mike_G

Ordered a hand set from yukiwatch:

s.gif
Price: $14.00
Availability: in stock

Here is Rolex Tudor Oyster Submariner Mercedes golden hand set fit for ETA movement project.

Aftermarket Tudor Oyster Submariner Mercedes hand set with yellow lume.

Can 100% fit for Tudor ETA cal. 2824/ 2784 / 2892 automatic movement.

Anyone have feedback on these hands?

9 hours ago, jmb said:

I always buy a dial and hand-set from Yuki and so far the hands have been very nice.

I understand that with yuki's dials the feet have to be remove for it to work with an ETA movement. How is the dial held in place?

Almost finished collecting parts and have a couple questions.

I bought a new ETA 2824-2 movement and plan to use a Whoopy dial. Do I need to remove the date wheel from the movement? My other question is whether the stem on the 2824 needs to be modified in any way. Parts I have acquired so far:

JMB case

Gen 6mm Crown

2 hand sets - one from Yuki and one from Rics 

Set of spring bars

Choice Cuts leather strap