When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2783

Mike_G

I'm in the process of planning a vintage Explorer build. Have read several recommendations for the ETA 2783 movement. I've been doing some searching on eBay and I've found some very inexpensive pieces ( compared to the 2824 ) either in the form of the movement alone or watches equipped with a 2783. For example I found a couple of watches in the $50 range. I've also seen just the movement for around $100. Do these prices sound about right?

I'm in the process of planning a vintage Explorer build. Have read several recommendations for the ETA 2783 movement. I've been doing some searching on eBay and I've found some very inexpensive pieces ( compared to the 2824 ) either in the form of the movement alone or watches equipped with a 2783. For example I found a couple of watches in the $50 range. I've also seen just the movement for around $100. Do these prices sound about right?

When you buy a $50 watch or a $100 movement, plan on having the movement serviced- maybe another $100 and possibly more if you need parts. These are 40 year old movements!

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&ETA_2783

But hand sizes are the same as the current 2824 and 2836 and size is also 11.5 lignes. 

15 hours ago, Mike_G said:

2783 is also slightly different with regard to the reversing wheels not having jewels and the movement uses little annoying clips that love to fly across the room in certain places.

get a 2846 instead. id only buy a 2783 if a watch i was restoring used that as the original movement.