When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mbw 1680 Modded

Falco

Fresh from "Maria" this was done;

Drilled lugholes, filed crownguards and smoothed/rounded case

Gen vintage dial

Gen vintage insert

Gen insert dot

Gen vintage crystal

Gen vintage crown

Gen new tube

Gen vintage springbars, endlinks and bracelet

Fitted ETA 2846 for more accurate beat

Glued crystal and greased all o-rings to waterproof

All mods done by me.

176395-8303.jpg

176395-8304.jpg

176395-8305.jpg

176395-8306.jpg

Wow! Fantastic! Maybe the bst 1680 rep ever!

What type of bracelet and end links are you using? Do you mind if I ask you total cost for this project?

Thanks everyone

Bracelet/link is a 78360 w/ 501s, not perfect choice but great vintage patina/worn in

Cost? Maybe around 1400 $ all in all :rolleyes: could be worse

Fantastic work. That gen dial makes the watch. Absolutely gorgeous. Don't be afraid to file down those crown guards a bit more, and definitely get in line for a Watchmeister datewheel!!

Thanks chieftang for the tips. CGs is still in process. Just put myself on the datewheel list, haven't had any luck finding a good one without buying the 1570.

Very, very nice job. The white 1680 is SO much better choice than the red.

I agree...those crown guards still needs some thinning and shaping. Perhaps reduce the cg curvature from above a little bit. The cg's are not as curved on the gens... like this picture nicely shows. Other than that... fantastic.

Thanks The Zigmeister, everytime I get stuck on something, especially with movements I just read your posts.

Thanks ByTor, I've read your excellent MBW review and that picture is great, have not really finished CG yet.

Edited by Falco

Damn...I'm getting the MBW itch once again. :lol:

If I now had to choose one MBW I'd probably get this... or the white Dweller. Both are such amazing watches (when the mods have been done). That oversized red SUBMARINER font always annoyed me on my red 1680.

Must resist...

I'm curious why you say this. His white dial is genuine. A red genuine dial would have looked equally sharp, no? Just personal preference?

Or did you mean you like the white rep dial better than the red rep dial?

Yes. The red "SUBMARINER" font is oversized on all red 1680 reps. It's a dead giveaway. Rolex never produced a red Sub with big font. It should look like this (cherry red and much smaller font). There's no such problem with the white version. Also the bigger coronet is extremely rare on the red dials (it does exist though). But look at the shape of the coronet and ROLEX font in the reference pic. This is the most common red dial on 1680.

176609-8244.jpg

Yes. The red "SUBMARINER" font is oversized on all red 1680 reps. It's a dead giveaway. Rolex never produced a red Sub with big font. It should look like this (cherry red and much smaller font).

Not quite correct....there are a few variants of the red sub dials as shown in the photo below. The earlier dial had the red sub wording the same size as the depth rating underneath. As the years rolled on they changed the dials and fonts and the shape of the rolex crown. The nearest dial to the MBW is the later 3.1million serial number watches, although as you point out the red sub isn't cherry enough (although I have seen a very dull one quite a while ago in real life). The crown on these later dials matches the MBW better as does the fonts.

The MBW white sub dial has it's flaws too, it depends if you know where to look!!!

176825-8232.jpg

Not quite correct....there are a few variants of the red sub dials as shown in the photo below. The earlier dial had the red sub wording the same size as the depth rating underneath. As the years rolled on they changed the dials and fonts and the shape of the rolex crown. The nearest dial to the MBW is the later 3.1million serial number watches, although as you point out the red sub isn't cherry enough (although I have seen a very dull one quite a while ago in real life). The crown on these later dials matches the MBW better as does the fonts.

The MBW white sub dial has it's flaws too, it depends if you know where to look!!!

176852-8221.jpg

You're correct of course. And I know it has been produced with the bigger coronet. I included this picture in my review:

176852-8222.jpg

However this dial seems to be very rare, I haven't seen many of them around.

The rep dial (my old 1680 on the left) is indeed quite close, but the rep SUBMARINER font is different enough to be easily spotted every time, regardless of the color tone. Or have you ever seen the red Sub with the font that doesn't use the straight "S" (like the one below)?

176852-8223.jpg

I have seen modern subs with the font that uses "straight S"... and I have also seen them with the other font (that's used on the rep). But never, ever a red 1680. Even the largest example of the font you posted is clearly lower than on the rep (plus completely different font). For me this is a giveaway (unless proven otherwise), others might see it as a meaningless detail.

Don't forget... Rolex had 3 dial makers during this era. So, there are variations between those as well within s/n time frames depending on who printed.

I believe that. But from all those hundreds of red Sub pictures I scanned (before I did my review) I've never seen a genuine dial with the red SUBMARINER font that's used on the reps. Not even one single watch. I've seen some scam attempts at TZ and they have always called out the font.

I'm not saying they don't exist since the white ones have always came with both fonts, but I'd like to see a legit red one before I believe it.

Guest RiverwindMDS
Fresh from "Maria" this was done;

Drilled lugholes, filed crownguards and smoothed/rounded case

Gen vintage dial

Gen vintage insert

Gen insert dot

Gen vintage crystal

Gen vintage crown

Gen new tube

Gen vintage springbars, endlinks and bracelet

Fitted ETA 2846 for more accurate beat

Glued crystal and greased all o-rings to waterproof

All mods done by me.

178479-7858.jpg

178479-7859.jpg

178479-7860.jpg

178479-7861.jpg

Really good work. I'll post mine when it is finished...

Really good work. I'll post mine when it is finished...

Hope yours come out good :thumbsupsmileyanim: and please post some pics

Replacing the 2836 w/ a 2846 makes a world of difference for 70$ (beat-sound, more staggering sec hand ...)

Can't really justify putting a 1570 gen motor in it yet due to problem servicing it without a case serial

Guest RiverwindMDS
Hope yours come out good :thumbsupsmileyanim: and please post some pics

Replacing the 2836 w/ a 2846 makes a world of difference for 70$ (beat-sound, more staggering sec hand ...)

Can't really justify putting a 1570 gen motor in it yet due to problem servicing it without a case serial

I don't think servicing is a problem for 1570 there are many non-rolex service center that would do that.

But it's not worth the money if you could have a very similar movement for a very lower price...

I also got 2946 in mine.

Waiting for the datewheels.

I will add pictures when I got them

except that MBW dials have slightly thicker font, one thing that strike me in comparison to gen dials is that the gen vintage dials somtimes have a tiny Tritium smear around lume markers due to tritium dissolves with heat and age onto the dial