When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

movement identification

ezed1

hey all

a friend of minds pulled this out of his junk box ,he said it had been sitting in there 15 plus years

it seems to have been a Omega Seamaster Rep but there are no markings on the movement, can some one tell me what

movement this is please

Thanks

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo3.JPG

Edited by ezed1

40 minutes ago, panerai153 said:

Are those the only markings? I would suspect that is a copy of some genuine movement, as all the recognized brands mark their movements with name, movement number, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes that is the only markings that I can see :-( I have looked and looked and cant find anything that looks like it

You might be able to ID the movement by going to the 'Chinese Mechanical watches' forum on WUS and dig around until you find this movement discussed. The movement is common in $30+/- watches and may be made by different China factories. I have owned a few and they are fairly accurate and reliable as long as they are clean and have a little oil here and there.

I just now looked in my parts box and found two of these movements in 'pot metal' case DJ look-alike watches that go for around $25. I had a 'pot metal' tutone omega smp replica a couple weeks back with a dial similar to the one in the picture but it had a Seagull ST16 in it. The ST16 is quite a bit higher in the pecking order than the movement pictured but cheap none the less...unless they are branded 'Claro Semag'.

'Pot metal' = common term for cast metal of some sort, aka 'ufo metal'. When the plating wears away (in a day or two) the bare metal looks a lot like a weathered 1950s automobile hood ornament after the chrome plating blistered off. 'High grade' pot metal usually = brass. Many have skin rash reactions to 'ufo metal'.

'Base metal' can be anything from ufo pot metal to stainless steel with plating applied over it. I used to see 14k solid yellow gold watches that had been plated with rhodium or white gold so the 14k gold case could also be termed 'base metal' in this instance. Matter of fact, I have a quartz diamond dial Lucien Piccard mans watch that is 14k white gold and was plated with yellow gold. I had it 'reverse plated' to remove the yellow gold plating and it looks fine. Btw, Lucien Piccard gold watches are still a relative bargain as no one seems to like them very much. I bought a 14k yellow LP 'Sea Shark' automatic on a leather strap that looks like new a while back for $110.

http://www.watchfreeks.com/115-watch-movements/3864-claro-semag-cl-888-a.html

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:46 PM, automatico said:

You might be able to ID the movement by going to the 'Chinese Mechanical watches' forum on WUS and dig around until you find this movement discussed. The movement is common in $30+/- watches and may be made by different China factories. I have owned a few and they are fairly accurate and reliable as long as they are clean and have a little oil here and there.

I just now looked in my parts box and found two of these movements in 'pot metal' case DJ look-alike watches that go for around $25. I had a 'pot metal' tutone omega smp replica a couple weeks back with a dial similar to the one in the picture but it had a Seagull ST16 in it. The ST16 is quite a bit higher in the pecking order than the movement pictured but cheap none the less...unless they are branded 'Claro Semag'.

'Pot metal' = common term for cast metal of some sort, aka 'ufo metal'. When the plating wears away (in a day or two) the bare metal looks a lot like a weathered 1950s automobile hood ornament after the chrome plating blistered off. 'High grade' pot metal usually = brass. Many have skin rash reactions to 'ufo metal'.

'Base metal' can be anything from ufo pot metal to stainless steel with plating applied over it. I used to see 14k solid yellow gold watches that had been plated with rhodium or white gold so the 14k gold case could also be termed 'base metal' in this instance. Matter of fact, I have a quartz diamond dial Lucien Piccard mans watch that is 14k white gold and was plated with yellow gold. I had it 'reverse plated' to remove the yellow gold plating and it looks fine. Btw, Lucien Piccard gold watches are still a relative bargain as no one seems to like them very much. I bought a 14k yellow LP 'Sea Shark' automatic on a leather strap that looks like new a while back for $110.

http://www.watchfreeks.com/115-watch-movements/3864-claro-semag-cl-888-a.html

ok thanks for that info much appreciated!!