When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6542 Dial & Hands

Caci

Caci - your hand looks fine.
As Nanuq cited, the inner triangle should be equilateral (with 3 equal angles). The edges (of all the hands) should be right-angles (not rounded) with flat sides & the metal frame of the triangle should be relatively thick & more or less even all the way around. The red paint is flat & the lume should have no (or, in rare cases, very very weak, quickly fading) glow left (bright lume on 50+ year-old Rolex hands is a sign of recent manufacture).

Here is my gen for reference -
dennisinsertmacros2_zpsad149654.jpg

gmt40082__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

IMG_00532__-2_tonemapped1_zpsc7af2203.jp

1 hour ago, freddy333 said:

Caci - your hand looks fine.
As Nanuq cited, the inner triangle should be equilateral (with 3 equal angles). The edges (of all the hands) should be right-angles (not rounded) with flat sides & the metal frame of the triangle should be relatively thick & more or less even all the way around. The red paint is flat & the lume should have no (or, in rare cases, very very weak, quickly fading) glow left (bright lume on 50+ year-old Rolex hands is a sign of recent manufacture).

Here is my gen for reference -
dennisinsertmacros2_zpsad149654.jpg

gmt40082__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

IMG_00532__-2_tonemapped1_zpsc7af2203.jp

Yeah,,,,,,,,

That's a nice one!

And thanks for the help.

Chris

Edited by Caci
missing text

On April 21, 2016 at 1:37 PM, freddy333 said:

Well done. Those hands look perfect & will improve the appearance of your watch 20% (a proper/matched dial would provide the remaining 80% improvement).

I've been offered a tritium Service Dial (different seller than the one in previous post) for a very reasonable price and am looking at that option.

I'd have to sneak up on an Original Dial (like I did on these hands) to afford that option.

Dial arrived.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Caci
Wrong

• 3 months later...

Thanks to all for the kind comments.  I have the Service Dial and now, the Date Wheel.  I'm confident that my Bezel/Insert is at least  Service - possibly original (caseback date 3rd quarter, 1959).

This Date Wheel was found in a box of parts that my friend had.  You can probably imagine the excitement when I opened the Rolex can.

If also found a 660ft/200m Sub Dial, which appears to have been re-lumed (Luminova) but looks good otherwise.

Believe it or not, I cannot remember if it's for a 1680 or 5512!  I'll check it out tonight & post photos.

Thanks to all for the kind comments.  I have the Service Dial and now, the Date Wheel.  I'm confident that my Bezel/Insert is at least  Service - possibly original (caseback date 3rd quarter, 1959).

This Date Wheel was found in a box of parts that my friend had.  You can probably imagine the excitement when I opened the Rolex can.

If also found a 660ft/200m Sub Dial, which appears to have been re-lumed (Luminova) but looks good otherwise.

Believe it or not, I cannot remember if it's for a 1680 or 5512!  I'll check it out tonight & post photos.

OK, 5513 dial. Also a bezel insert & case. Case back looks like it may have been hard to remove! Case threads seem OK though, as back screws in, until the dinged-in part hits seal surface.

Now, just need movement, hands, bezel, crystal, tube/crown & caseback!

See pics.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Upon closer inspection, under good light, dial is pretty stinky.

Poor hand-painted refinish, based on inconsistent font height & thickness. Anyway case & insert look useable.

Edited by Caci

• 3 weeks later...

Right, re-finished or facsimile of 5512 dial. I remembered the "SCOC" when I first mentioned finding the dial - but got sidetracked by the 5513 case.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Service Dial & Roulette Date Wheel installed.

image.jpeg

• Like 1