When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Spotting a Richard Mille fake?

Raxford

I don't know enough RM to weigh-in on gen.vs.fake but I do know they carry an outrageous price-tag and a certain "douche-factor;" I would immediately assume any "average Joe" seen wearing one is likely wearing a fake. 

Same thing goes for the 22 year old at the Audi dealer that was talking to me about a car, noticed my Maranez and said "hey that's a cool watch" - it's a $300 watch... he had on a $50-$60k Rolex Platinum Daytona, 116506. Judging by how he carried himself, his suit, and that he was 22 it's probably a fake. That's just my assumption and a general rule of how I decide these things. Had he been a well-heeled young man raised with money and all the accouterments such a lifestyle affords, he wouldn't have carried himself like a thug "This car is siiiiick bro" or been wearing a $150 Jos. A. Bank suit, red shirt, and tie that cost less than my socks. 

Point is, if one cares about pulling off a high-end rep then it is all about how you carry yourself and measuring that watch with your demeanor and background. Most people can't tell the difference, so the force is typically with you. 

100% agree. Hence why there isn't a third option that it isn't actually his haha. I buy my reps knowing what I need to wear with them. I can't pull off a DSSD on a Saturday afternoon, so I don't.

Kid's a douche anyway :)

100% agree. Hence why there isn't a third option that it isn't actually his haha. I buy my reps knowing what I need to wear with them. I can't pull off a DSSD on a Saturday afternoon, so I don't.

Kid's a douche anyway :)

• Like 1

This is a gen for sure. Congrats to your friend. :)

5 hours ago, 508-Fanatic said:

I don't know enough RM to weigh-in on gen.vs.fake but I do know they carry an outrageous price-tag and a certain "douche-factor;" I would immediately assume any "average Joe" seen wearing one is likely wearing a fake. 

Same thing goes for the 22 year old at the Audi dealer that was talking to me about a car, noticed my Maranez and said "hey that's a cool watch" - it's a $300 watch... he had on a $50-$60k Rolex Platinum Daytona, 116506. Judging by how he carried himself, his suit, and that he was 22 it's probably a fake. That's just my assumption and a general rule of how I decide these things. Had he been a well-heeled young man raised with money and all the accouterments such a lifestyle affords, he wouldn't have carried himself like a thug "This car is siiiiick bro" or been wearing a $150 Jos. A. Bank suit, red shirt, and tie that cost less than my socks. 

Point is, if one cares about pulling off a high-end rep then it is all about how you carry yourself and measuring that watch with your demeanor and background. Most people can't tell the difference, so the force is typically with you. 

Very true and +1. The number one deciding factor of whether a watch is gen/fake for me is the person wearing it, and the way he carries himself. Details are easy to spot in pictures posted on the forum, but in real life, it is harder to do so unless you already know what to look for, and are specifically looking out for it. :) 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Legend said:

This is a gen for sure. Congrats to your friend. :)

Very true and +1. The number one deciding factor of whether a watch is gen/fake for me is the person wearing it, and the way he carries himself. Details are easy to spot in pictures posted on the forum, but in real life, it is harder to do so unless you already know what to look for, and are specifically looking out for it. :) 

Thank you my wise friend, and yes it's not often we get to sit there for a few minutes and actively stare at someone's watch...would be quite rude. Kind of the enabling point of the entire rep/franken community haha.

On 5/29/2016 at 7:51 PM, philwongnz said:

Gen, the date wheel is a tell. The existing rep doesn't have the cut out stenciled numbers as it uses date wheels. Also the font of existing reps are wrong.

I didn't even know it had a date function. The damn things are too busy for me. Hurts my eyes haha. I'm a simple man, with simple tastes. Give me a classic AP Royal Oak, Datejust, Sub, PP Calatrava or similar and I'm a happy camper. 

I did recently get a Daytona, which is kind of a leap for me. Even my Zenith with it's "open escapement" feature seems a bit busy to me. But I love it. 

Turns out he tried it on at Harrods haha. I'm surprised he was allowed to try it on. Not sure I'd let meh self handle one.

And does the fact that your friend doesn't own a gen RM makes you feel better in any way? ;)

Message crafted while riding a leathery juvenile T-Rex and charging toward the horizon.

And does the fact that your friend doesn't own a gen RM makes you feel better in any way?

Message crafted while riding a leathery juvenile T-Rex and charging toward the horizon.

I don't want to sound like a jealous [censored] but yes.

I'm happier he wasn't trying to pass off a rep. That would have been just ridiculous.

:)

I don't want to sound like a jealous [censored] but yes.

I'm happier he wasn't trying to pass off a rep. That would have been just ridiculous.

Lol I'm impressed with your honesty.

But I would be happy if the watch was shown by a friend and turned with it being a "trying it on" shot.

Why? I want my friend to have better taste in watches that's all lol.

• Like 1

Lol I'm impressed with your honesty.

But I would be happy if the watch was shown by a friend and turned with it being a "trying it on" shot.

Why? I want my friend to have better taste in watches that's all lol.

Ha it's funny actually. If I were given a gen RM I think I'd be more inclined to sell it and get an Aston Martin instead. I can't wear my Ralph Lauren Men's Wearhouse Special suit and a multi-hundred K watch.

I would have been thrilled for him, just a bit surprised :)

Ha it's funny actually. If I were given a gen RM I think I'd be more inclined to sell it and get an Aston Martin instead. I can't wear my Ralph Lauren Men's Wearhouse Special suit and a multi-hundred K watch.

I would have been thrilled for him, just a bit surprised

lol I would do the same, and get a pair of nice Rolex daytonas instead. I would rather be wearing one Daytona on each wrist rather than an RM haha. It's a matter of personal taste. I just do not have the lifestyle to carry off an RM effectively.