When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinion needed for recent transaction.

irolexu

I am left with a bad taste after doing business with a member here who I will not disclose until we come to a full resolution but I am asking simply what's the best way to handle this situation.

a member sold me a watch that came in with a issue that was not disclosed nor was it shipping damage. I had a watch maker repair it locally after waiting for his response which took longer than average. I only asked he split the bill with me as i do understand mistakes can be made or maybe he knew maybe he didn't but it was not disclosed. He says he only agreed if I took before pics which I did not do so. I do how ever have a receipt of the repairs made. I personally feel like he knew simply by how quick and cheap he sold a "brand new C&R" watch" but this is only my opinion and in no way going off this basis alone. I simply asked he do the right thing.

A repair split is fair and reasonable in context of doing business with members here.  For example, I sold a piece that was damaged in transit and offered to pay for or source a new part. I also forwarded the USPS receipt so the buyer could file an insurance claim of $50 if he so chose.  The member was pleased that I offered to remedy the situation quickly and ultimately never took me up on the offer.  He found an extra part in his parts bin.  The receipt of services rendered should be sufficient given your 96 feedback score.  With a rating like that, I know you are not out to graft someone for a repair job.  

Perhaps provide your repairman's contact information so he may personally verify the issue and services rendered?  I don't think the pictures, whether taken or not prior to the repair, are the issue.  Good faith dealing assumes you found an issue and had it resolved....therefore a good seller will acknowledge this point and cover half of the repair to make the piece operational.

• Like 1

I agree with muleplay. If there were no damages from shipping (Although to be honest I have had watches arrive DOA from members a couple of times. Well packed in bubble wrap and inside a hard box. We worked out a deal to split the costs of repair 50-50 and everyone was reasonably happy.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mule play said:

A repair split is fair and reasonable in context of doing business with members here.  For example, I sold a piece that was damaged in transit and offered to pay for or source a new part. I also forwarded the USPS receipt so the buyer could file an insurance claim of $50 if he so chose.  The member was pleased that I offered to remedy the situation quickly and ultimately never took me up on the offer.  He found an extra part in his parts bin.  The receipt of services rendered should be sufficient given your 96 feedback score.  With a rating like that, I know you are not out to graft someone for a repair job.  

Perhaps provide your repairman's contact information so he may personally verify the issue and services rendered?  I don't think the pictures, whether taken or not prior to the repair, are the issue.  Good faith dealing assumes you found an issue and had it resolved....therefore a good seller will acknowledge this point and cover half of the repair to make the piece operational.

My point exactly. I told the member I have been here for years and my feedback should be enough for him. He has 3 feedback and like I said I'm pretty sure he knew and is trying to swindle the next buyer due to his unhappy purchase of realizing it wasn't perfect from factory. I'm on vacation right now and when I am back I will send him a receipt of service from a local watch smith.

Playing devils advocate here but...  It really is just your word against his. If you had a problem you should document it photography wise, as well as email with a detail of exactly whats wrong. The fact that you didn't get a response from him before the repair means you took it upon your responsibility to accept those charges. He might have been willing to do a refund in full if you weren't happy...

On top of that, people do have lives and make mistakes, the reason for his late email could have been a number of things, but also how long was his "longer than average" email response?  Are we talking a week? or are we talking 3 weeks? Either way honestly thinking of it as a judge not a watch buddy... You should have waited till you heard back from the seller or demanded a refund or coverage BEFORE investing any money into the watch. Once you did that, you took the responsibility upon yourself.

The fact that you didn't get an invoice for the repair is also quite suspicious...  Why wouldn't you get a copy of that? Why can't you contact them and have them write it up again if you had lost an original?

I don't mean to come off defending one or another, but flat out... You should have done all of those things properly before assuming the cost. From the other view, you got the watch, damaged it upon wearing it the first few days, didn't realize it, then when you did you blamed it on the seller who was out of the state on business or whatever the reason for his late response. Then you could have done the repair or mod yourself or from an nu-reputible watchmaker who maybe also caused the damage.... 

You see where I'm going from here? Just because someone doesn't have a lot of sales, doesn't automatically makes them a bad guy, every reputable person starts out with their first few sales. In the end, you didn't document anything at all to prove what was wrong, how it arrived in photos, or even gotten proof of anything repair or damage or cost wise... I would chock up the fees to learning a lesson vs. chewing the guy out for something that could not be proven. He doesn't know you, and you don't know him, there is no reason to have trust on either end without proof. And sadly without proof, you just have an argument. Thats my 2 bits.

Edited by watchnutz

5 hours ago, watchnutz said:

Playing devils advocate here but...  It really is just your word against his. If you had a problem you should document it photography wise, as well as email with a detail of exactly whats wrong. The fact that you didn't get a response from him before the repair means you took it upon your responsibility to accept those charges. He might have been willing to do a refund in full if you weren't happy...

On top of that, people do have lives and make mistakes, the reason for his late email could have been a number of things, but also how long was his "longer than average" email response?  Are we talking a week? or are we talking 3 weeks? Either way honestly thinking of it as a judge not a watch buddy... You should have waited till you heard back from the seller or demanded a refund or coverage BEFORE investing any money into the watch. Once you did that, you took the responsibility upon yourself.

The fact that you didn't get an invoice for the repair is also quite suspicious...  Why wouldn't you get a copy of that? Why can't you contact them and have them write it up again if you had lost an original?

I don't mean to come off defending one or another, but flat out... You should have done all of those things properly before assuming the cost. From the other view, you got the watch, damaged it upon wearing it the first few days, didn't realize it, then when you did you blamed it on the seller who was out of the state on business or whatever the reason for his late response. Then you could have done the repair or mod yourself or from an nu-reputible watchmaker who maybe also caused the damage.... 

You see where I'm going from here? Just because someone doesn't have a lot of sales, doesn't automatically makes them a bad guy, every reputable person starts out with their first few sales. In the end, you didn't document anything at all to prove what was wrong, how it arrived in photos, or even gotten proof of anything repair or damage or cost wise... I would chock up the fees to learning a lesson vs. chewing the guy out for something that could not be proven. He doesn't know you, and you don't know him, there is no reason to have trust on either end without proof. And sadly without proof, you just have an argument. Thats my 2 bits.

I have an invoice with the services performed and I didn't take a pic as this is a forum not a TD where they want everything in stone writing. Our word and our respect to the community is what keeps people going here not treating each other like we are trying to get one on another.. Your argument sounds like something I would expect between a trusted dealer and a customer not a M2M sale and not to mention I had high expectations here because he supposedly just got the watch brand new so it's a catch and release deal I expect a brand new watch with no defects. So since I wasn't dealing with a TD why would I go take pics of the watch before repairs? Most members would just split costs with another no questions ask because that's having a sense of community. 

6 hours ago, irolexu said:

I have an invoice with the services performed and I didn't take a pic as this is a forum not a TD where they want everything in stone writing. Our word and our respect to the community is what keeps people going here not treating each other like we are trying to get one on another.. Your argument sounds like something I would expect between a trusted dealer and a customer not a M2M sale and not to mention I had high expectations here because he supposedly just got the watch brand new so it's a catch and release deal I expect a brand new watch with no defects. So since I wasn't dealing with a TD why would I go take pics of the watch before repairs? Most members would just split costs with another no questions ask because that's having a sense of community. 

Well the thing is you're making assumptions. And that's my point. Not everyone sees things the same way. Heck I've been burned by people I've known for years that I trusted. If anything proof and documenting any sale is important practice. Even with friends. It's just good business. To each his own. 

Well the ruling is in I have communicated it to irolexu via PM we/I went over in detail.. Bottom line seller in the clear although irolexu assertion that the defect was know is likely it is not certain. ( damn you just never know and the watch was shipped so that's always a wildcard)

What is not in a grey area is he moved much to fast on the fix and in the future for everyone : you wait for seller to respond a week at least then once contacted get estimate of repair or ballpark price  (most of us know about what x or y cost to fix) and agree upon split then proceed. If no agreement you contact me I look into it.