When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Did The Black Ghost Sell For?

ceejay

Surely Rolex would have any history required for this watch?

They possibly could authenticate, but as always, Rolex will never ever tell. Their policy is and has been one of complete silence in regards to every watch that is outside the norm. Rolex could silence critics easily, but they won't.

A good example of this is the Rolex 6542 GMT White dial. Supposedly ordered by PanAm for executives who were purloining the Black dial watches that PanAm purchased for their pilots. There have been huge arguments back and forth between Rolex "experts" as to the authenticity of the White dial 6542 GMT's. Rolex could end this and similar discussions with a simple one word answer, yes or no, but they won't. The White dial 6542's were supposedly, not "one offs" like this watch, but were ordered in quantity( quite small) by PanAm.

Watch manufacturers like Breguet or Patek keep very accurate records of every watch that leaves the manufacturer. Very easy to verify a watches authenticity, and they are willing to help. Rolex on the other hand will not. In the case of a "one off" like this one, I'm not even sure that Rolex has the same sort of individual records that would allow them to go back and authenticate the watch. After all Rolex is not a small shop like Patek, rather they are what I would call a "semi-mass produced" manufacturer. They produce hundreds of thousands of watches every year. I would guess that over the lifetime of 6263 production, Rolex built thousands. So, even if they could, which they won't I'm not at all sure they could authenticate a watch like this with 100% accuracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

if theres one thing i utterly dislike is that auction houses always over hype the items for auction. The pictures they upload and showcase are often always photoshopped and can be starkly different from what you get when you see the item in person. saying that the case was hardly ever polished is complete [censored] in my opinion, the words they use are mis guided and a sales pitch. carefully chosen to hype up the sale price

however, christie has made an extremely strong case for this particular piece. four renowned daytona experts were called in and they all unanimously agreed that the dial was correct in everyway. Rolex Geneva confirmed that the dial was made by them as well, this was a controversial piece for many reasons as reported here;

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/rolex-daytona-black-ghost-roc-paulnewman

if history is a representation of the future, more examples of this piece will pop up, only that way will the vintage fora agree in consensus that they actually do exist.

it is however, ridiculous to think that a watch that sold for 250-300usd 30 years ago would go for over half a million today.