When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally A Worthy Breguet Rep

beanyboy

Most collectors on this forum don't pay too much attention to luxury dress watches like Cartier and Breguet. Breguet is one of the most storied brands out there, and I always wanted one. One of my first reps was a crappy Breguet rep that was as thick as a tuna can and had a "guilloche" face that didn't fool anybody. As new Breguet reps were introduced by various dealers, they always continued to suck major sh*t. Now the trend in Breguet reps is to add a stupid "torbillion" movement, which is about as sure a way to scream FAKE as to etch the word into the crappy "guilloche" paper face. As soon as I learned more about reps and my collection grew, I chucked the Breguet piece because it cheapened my collection.

Anyway, much to my amazement, Andrew is now stocking a beautiful Breguet rep that really hits the mark. It's the right size, has the right thickness, has a passable guilloche face, and isn't crapped up with zirconia or goofy escapement mechanisms. It's real gold too, which is what gives it the price tag that's out of my range. Now let's hope that the factory that chuned this out will make one in rose gold or gold plate, and maybe toss in an Asian movement to bring the price into line. What a beauty!

post-1156-1168356853_thumb.jpg

Most collectors on this forum don't pay too much attention to luxury dress watches like Cartier and Breguet. Breguet is one of the most storied brands out there, and I always wanted one. One of my first reps was a crappy Breguet rep that was as thick as a tuna can and had a "guilloche" face that didn't fool anybody. As new Breguet reps were introduced by various dealers, they always continued to suck major sh*t. Now the trend in Breguet reps is to add a stupid "torbillion" movement, which is about as sure a way to scream FAKE as to etch the word into the crappy "guilloche" paper face. As soon as I learned more about reps and my collection grew, I chucked the Breguet piece because it cheapened my collection.

Anyway, much to my amazement, Andrew is now stocking a beautiful Breguet rep that really hits the mark. It's the right size, has the right thickness, has a passable guilloche face, and isn't crapped up with zirconia or goofy escapement mechanisms. It's real gold too, which is what gives it the price tag that's out of my range. Now let's hope that the factory that chuned this out will make one in rose gold or gold plate, and maybe toss in an Asian movement to bring the price into line. What a beauty!

$1.500 is ok for solid gold watch :rolleyes:

why not get the brequet with working tourbillion from josh -

gold is cool, but tourbillion? for 650? :) i'm not sure if its 1st 2nd or 3rd generation of tourbillion movements

I am not a big fan of torbillion movements. I love the Andrew rep, but it's more than I am willing to spend for a rep, although it's still about $7,000 cheaper than the real one.

Just hoping this development will lead to at least ONE better Breguet Classique rep--one that isn't 12MM thick! I don't mind the cruddy rep band in "peanut" color. I'll change that anyway.

Beany

Nothing against your Classique rep, Pugwash. In fact, it looks damn good. Is it from EL or Josh? Asian movement I presume?

No idea. I bought it off a fellow member. It required a strap-change to awaken its beauty. It's Asian, yes and not particularly thin. I don't think any dealers stock it any more.

180189-7479.jpg

No idea. I bought it off a fellow member. It required a strap-change to awaken its beauty. It's Asian, yes and not particularly thin. I don't think any dealers stock it any more.

180283-7469.jpg

Thanks. I'll try to track one down. You're right about the strap change. A great example of how an ordinary rep can turn into something of beauty with such a minor change.

Beany

P.S. If you ever want to unload yours, feel free to PM me.

Iam 100% with you on that

lets hope that we are going to see some good breguet reps of the clasique collection with power reserve and other complications

Andrew made the first step but i think something arount 700$ - 1000$ is more tempting

There are actually 4 or 5 solid 18k gold watches and 4 or 5 tourbillons. On the gold there is one or two for each brand (Breguet, Patek, Fm, etc.). The two issues for me have been cost and the fact that most of these gold watches are 40mm or less and now I am used to bigger watches. I also feel that at $1500 I would want an original movement and the only one (I am aware of) that has that is the FM with 2892. At some points in time these watches have sold for close to or less than the cost of the underlying gold.

There are actually 4 or 5 solid 18k gold watches and 4 or 5 tourbillons. On the gold there is one or two for each brand (Breguet, Patek, Fm, etc.). The two issues for me have been cost and the fact that most of these gold watches are 40mm or less and now I am used to bigger watches. I also feel that at $1500 I would want an original movement and the only one (I am aware of) that has that is the FM with 2892. At some points in time these watches have sold for close to or less than the cost of the underlying gold.

Andrew is stocking all of the watches you mention. They are all beautiful pieces. I would definitely take the plunge on the Breguet if I had money to burn. Anything over $500 and I tend to think it's out of my league.