When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question: Datejust 31 franken???

Dbltap22

I a man going to attempt to build a datejust 31mm. I have located a rep (see link). And some parts on "Chrono24". 

since nobody builds these... I want to know if anyone has in the past. 

1 will a gen dial fit?

2 will any other parts fit?

i saw a tutorial for a 36mm DJ and it showed cutting off the legs. 

Any and all help

thanks in advance 

Imho it would probably be easier and less $$ to go with a ready made 31mm replica and not go to the expense of a genuine dial.

Since there is no way to know if a genuine dial will work with an Eta 2836 (date offset, dial window/seat OD etc) the project may be doomed from the start because many replicas have oversize dials.

Many times projects using genuine dials are a downhill run because they will not fit replica cases and cutting dial feet off makes the dial worth a lot less.

Btw...genuine rolex 31mm watches use lady size watch movements and the watch in the link is said to have a 'swiss' eta 2836...a close fit as the case is 31mm and the movement is 26.0mm so that only leaves 2.5mm case thickness for case back/case tube threads etc.

The OP was in a complete gen case so a custom movement spacer had to be made for a 2671 movement as the 2836 size was a hair too big.  The spacer was a PITA and I think I had to use hands from two different Rolex spec hand-sets to get the proper sizes to fit the 2671.

Done 3.JPG

Done 1.JPG

If you are just going for the size/look the easiest thing would be to use a mid-size rep Tudor case as it will accept a 2836...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have built a 31mm oyster perp also. I have to say...it was actually easier than the 36 dj's ive assembled.

Also...@jmb the Tudor cases I've used do not fit a gen dial...the dials tend to be too small, but the case overall is very nice. Maybe I have a different version?

I started with a rep using a miyota movement and a crystal gasket cut down to fit as a movement spacer. The biggest challenge was getting the gen dial, which is considerably smaller than a rep dial, to fit onto the movement. I solved that issue with an extremely thin washer bought from amazon, glued to the back of the dial. This fits over the movement and right into place when the case is all buttoned up. The hands still fit, and I didn't find a need to increase the pinion height.

Here is the watch:

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

I posted a thread on rwi but they seem to be down ATM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btw...my case happened to fit a gen crystal gasket, crystal, and bezel. The bezel fit was tight, and there is more case showing around the edge than I prefer...it's not noticeable on the wrist...but you know how it goes...once we see it...it's always there

Very nice job!  It's nice to know that a gen Rolex dial is smaller than the Tudor.  I have built a couple Tudor mid-size with gen Tudor dials and they fit the case perfectly.  Your solution was slick!

Very nice job!  It's nice to know that a gen Rolex dial is smaller than the Tudor.  I have built a couple Tudor mid-size with gen Tudor dials and they fit the case perfectly.  Your solution was slick!

Thanks bro...but incase you forgot...it was actually your solution that I stole! Only difference, was that I took the shortcut of finding a .001 washer. Being the machinist you are...you had told me to grind down a washer to that size! Guess this is the "city-boy" version...

And...if you have any of those Tudor dials kicking around, let me know...I've got one of those empty cases just wanting to be built up.

I think I used all of them but I'll check.  I've also got a couple of those cases left and one is a two-tone complete with bracelet I'll likely never use.  I got a lotta stuff like that... :Jumpy:

On 3/28/2017 at 10:27 PM, Italiansub said:

I have built a 31mm oyster perp also. I have to say...it was actually easier than the 36 dj's ive assembled.

Also...@jmb the Tudor cases I've used do not fit a gen dial...the dials tend to be too small, but the case overall is very nice. Maybe I have a different version?

I started with a rep using a miyota movement and a crystal gasket cut down to fit as a movement spacer. The biggest challenge was getting the gen dial, which is considerably smaller than a rep dial, to fit onto the movement. I solved that issue with an extremely thin washer bought from amazon, glued to the back of the dial. This fits over the movement and right into place when the case is all buttoned up. The hands still fit, and I didn't find a need to increase the pinion height.

Here is the watch:

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

I posted a thread on rwi but they seem to be down ATM.

Btw...my case happened to fit a gen crystal gasket, crystal, and bezel. The bezel fit was tight, and there is more case showing around the edge than I prefer...it's not noticeable on the wrist...but you know how it goes...once we see it...it's always there

Noob question...

The washer provides the necessary thickness to the dial for a proper fit. Were there issues with the washer coming in contact with the DW function? It seems these two would be in direct contact. 

I have ordered a V1 31mm datejust with Asian eta clone with DW from Lucy. Should be in route. 

Then an comes the search for a pink dial, crystal, gen eta movement 

Edited by Dbltap22
Accidentally tapped post

That's a good questions. The washer has fitted to the movement side the movement spacer. This allows it to clear the DW same as it would with the dial. The trick here is to have a washer that's so thin it doesn't affect the stem or hand height significantly.

I think if you look closely you'll see the movement spacer in the pic.

Also...the watch I franken'd came with a DG2813 (similar to a miyota mvmt) so can't speak to the reps w eta/clones. Let me know how it goes.

Also...gen crown fit mine.

One more thing....since it's a no date dial...you could take off the DW if you were having clearance issues.

• Like 1