When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help: Ad Damaged The Screwheads Of The Smp Bracelet

scoobs1971

Yesterday I tried to resize the bracelet of my new arrived SMP (bracelet with screws). I got 2 links out with a precicion screwdriver, but the next 2 screws where too tight and I didn´t wanna force it. So I took it to an AD, but he also didn´t succeed. Brought it to another AD, who really messed up. Now the screws are so damaged that I´m never able to get it out. I think they even used a small hammer and as a consequence the side of the links are scratched....

Since I have a very thin wrist, I really need to get another link out or it won´t fit...

Any suggestions besides getting a new bracelet?

The screws on my SMP were really tight... I think that they had been fixed with thread-lock.

I have rheumatism in my hands, so do not have enough strength to turn a tiny screwdriver against a really tight screw ... but I managed to adjust my SMP bracelet by fixing a clamp onto my screwdriver...

182333-6884.jpg

This gave me something to grip, so that I could exert enough torque to remove the screws.

This trick works for people without rheumatism, too :lol:

Handy hint... it is really important that your screwdriver is a good fit in the screw-slot. If it isn't, grind the blade on a sharpening stone until it is a good fit. You will be glad that you did... an ill-fitting screwdriver is likely to slip... and scratch your watch.

Don't say that I didn't warn you.

Thnx for the tips!

However, since I had nothing too loose - except for buying a new bracelet, which I would have to do anyway - I used some old fashioned don´t-try-this-at-home-folks brutal force and broke off one link. Fortunately without damaging the other links... :)

Perfect fit and I´m happy with my new watch!

In the end this story shows that your local AD not necessarily have to be the professional that you think he would be..

I am surprsied your AD worked on the bracelet given that it's obviously now gen... but yeah anyone can screw something up :)

Ho exactly did you break your link especially without damaging others? That seems tricky... and scary..

Both AD´s were not official Omega resellers. I also had removed the part of the bracelet I wanted to resize from the watch. So I don´t think they even knew what kind of bracelet it was.

And it was scary to use force on the link. But I already excepted the fact that I had to buy a new bracelet. So I got nothing to loose... I used 2 nippers (don´t know if that´s the right word) on the link, which I protected with a tissue. Then I bent and rotated the link, the screw broke and the link came off.

Not a very intelligent solution, but fortunately it worked :)