When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Approaching A Watchmaker/repairer

aeroflott

I have several reps now, and need some repair work done on a sub that has died for some reason.

I've found what seems to be an independant guy repairing watches in our local town - he looks like he does it for the love rather than money, and I'd like him to take a look at the watch.

Does anyone have any experiences in "cold" approaching a repair guy to look at a rep? The last thing I want to do is upset or offend the bloke, but equally, business is business no? I guess the worst he could do is say "no" (or could he smash it to pieces - I've heard stories...).

Any advice welcome

Cheers

T

It totally depends on the person. I have found some that don't mind and are actually impressed with the quality of replicas... and I have found others who are anti-replica. I would try to talk to him a bit first and try to gauge it. Chances are though they will be happy to work on it especially if it is an independent watchmaker. If they are an AD for any branded watches it will be much harder.

i've had a pretty good experience here locally :)

my guess is that most independent watchmakers need the business. with so may quartz and disposable watches and dept stores and mall kiosks changing batteries etc there is (sadly) sadly not much work for them. the guy who does my eta rep work here in sacramento is always happy to see me and amazed at the overall quality of the reps.

of course an 'old school' watchmaker who specializes in rolex etc and does not really need the business would probably look at it differently :rolleyes:

my guy has a whole counter of repaired watches for sale that people have not paid to pick up, probably a good indicator that they would be willing to work on reps!

• 2 months later...

Either he's against rep, or you share a common passion... how many customer have a decent knowledge of watches, and more important movement ?

Reading The Zigmeister's posts alone is enough to have a nice conversation with any watchsmith, and chances are that he'll be hapy to have a watch enthusiast as a customer than a rich gen rolex owner who does know [censored] about what's inside his watch... (plus : how many customer own more than 10 mecanical watch ? you might end up being a major customer ;-)

Phone is definitely the best approach tactic, be sure to mask your phone number in case he's an [censored] and has caller id... you never know...

I agree. I would try Ziggy first.

Otherwise, phone the watchmaker and be honest and tell him that you have a rep. If he deals with Rolex, he probably will not be willing to work on your watch because he would not want to jeopardize his association with Rolex. But many independent watchmakers are struggling to make ends meet and will be more than happy to take in whatever work they can get. Just be sure to note (in writing) any parts on your watch that you do not want changed (or request that they phone you with an estimate of needed repairs before doing any work). I once had a watchmaker replace my rep crown with a generic one that did not screw down onto the crown tube, which pretty much turned my watch into a very nice looking (except for the crown) paper weight.

I've only been refused by one watchsmith (the place that advertises "Swiss trained watchsmith" in Tysons for you guys in DC) and I bet he wouldn't have even known my 111 was fake if one of the foil bridge overlays didn't come off while he was working on it. Called me up and snippily said he doesn't work on "counterfeits goods." One of the local smiths I use and I sort of do a don't ask don't tell thing--he obviously knows all of the watches I bring in are reps but has never said anything and neither have I. The other couldn't care less. He happily works on my watches, including various mods.

I've only been refused by one watchsmith (the place that advertises "Swiss trained watchsmith" in Tysons for you guys in DC) and I bet he wouldn't have even known my 111 was fake if one of the foil bridge overlays didn't come off while he was working on it.

Archi -- Are the initials of that store L&B and they sell Rolex? Not too long ago, I was visiting a friend in town that worked near the big Tysons mall there.

I had a great experience with a local watch repair shop.

They specialize in repairs, brought in the rep that needed service, handed it to him told him I knew it wasn't real, but knew it had an ETA movement and asked if he would have a problem looking at it.

Read about him and his father in a local business journal, their watchmaking history went way back, so they were old school and experienced.

He gladly worked on it and was very impressed with the quality.

Since then he has done minor adjustments on other reps of mine: removed crystals, etc...

Nice guy who as some else mentioned appreciated a customer that he could talk watches with for a bit.

He likely thinks I know someone on Canel Street and go to NYC often, which is fine with me.

I wouldn't worry about, rejection is the worst that can happen.

A random watch repair store is not going to attempt to confiscate your watch or anything crazy ;

find as it appears you have a shop that services watches / clocks AND is not an AD for any Swiss brands.

This differs from other suggestions, but personally I would not call first.

In my experience if I called this guy would likely have told me no on the phone, as before seeing my rep was very suspicious about rep quality.

Until taking a few apart, he honestly thought every little piece was going to be plastic.

It shocked him that many of the components are of the same quality as the Gens.

Sapphire crystal for example, seals/gaskets in place, screws insetad of pins, etc...

Cheers,

M