When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Western Union Issues.

geekybiker

I tried to send money with them online to MYSELF and they would not let me once. I was living in Australia trying to send money to pay my credit card in New Zealand, and they would not let me. Had been in Australia for 8 months, Aussie licence, etc and they wanted to verify my details and could not verify I existed!

I decided against going the online route with Western Union and went to a local agent. I saved $10 US by doing this and it was swift and easy since that the agent is only a couple of miles away. I learned that private agents of WU can set their own rates for service so your prices may vary.

Alright, i tried to send money to Joshua through WU now. After i completed the payment, i received a message from WU that i had to call customer service by phone to verify more information. It is my first time sending money through WU.

Is this standard procedure? Any ideas what their questions are like?

Hey Centurion,

I had the same with my first online WU transfer. After I finished the internet procedure I received a mail that I should call the customer service to finish the procedure. Than I got a lecture about how dangerous it is to send money to people that I don't know and they advised me to cancel the transaction. However, after I said that I still wanted to continue the procedure they made the payment to my dealer.

That said, I can imagine that they are warning people. There's been an extensive abuse of WU-transactions for Ebay scams. There's never any guarentee that you will receive the goods after payment and you will never get a refund from WU. That's why services like Paypal exists. However, they deliver protection for the buyer, not for the seller. This is a risk for a seller who can loose his money after sending the product. Nice catch, isn't it?

Anyway, my first payment with my preffered dealer was with WU. That earned me enough trust with him to use PayPal for upcoming orders.

Cheers!

P.

Alright, i tried to send money to Joshua through WU now. After i completed the payment, i received a message from WU that i had to call customer service by phone to verify more information. It is my first time sending money through WU.

Is this standard procedure? Any ideas what their questions are like?

I"ve only had to call them once - when I ordered my LV Sub from Paul - Which ironically was the 2nd time I'd purchased from him and they still wanted me to confim the transaction. They asked if i knew him and said yes and then they gave me the warning about sending money blah blah.