When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

When did they start making a clone 2892 movement?

RickFlorida

I just found out they make clone 2892 movements from looking at Ebay today.  When the hell did they start doing that?  I get how they had a demand for 2836 and 2824 movements but is there really a demand for 2892 movements?

Is there anyone else frustrated they don't clone a 1530 or 1560 movements, etc?  Didn't the patent expire just as easily on the old 15XX movements just as much as the patents would have expired on 2892?  Are they gonna seriously end up cloning every single ETA movement ever made before cloning any 15xx movements?

Edited by RickFlorida

"I just found out they make clone 2892 movements from looking at Ebay today.  When the hell did they start doing that?"

They have been around almost as long as the 2824/36 clones.  There is not as much demand for them so we do not see them often.  There are a few China movements with the 2892 type autowind rotors and bearings with different guts thrown in the mix too.

"Is there anyone else frustrated they don't clone a 1530 or 1560 movements, etc?"

Maybe not a look-alike clone (that may be too much to expect), but maybe a lower beat movement (21600 is Ok) that will accept genuine spec dials/hands/DW and fit into vintage rlx cases.  A GMT movement would also be very nice.

"Didn't the patent expire just as easily on the old 15XX movements just as much as the patents would have expired on 2892?"

Yes.  The 15xx patents have been expired for years but there is probably not much interest in a 1530 clone except to vintage repnuts like us.  What is really needed are high quality aftmkt  movement parts.  There are already center wheels with CP, other train wheels, rotor axles, balance staffs, and a few other parts available but no reversers or GMT parts.  Most of the aftmkt parts are being made for 1570 date movements, not much for no dates (cw/cp, hour wheel), and no GMT parts afaik.  I guess GMT parts are not much in demand.

"Are they gonna seriously end up cloning every single ETA movement ever made before cloning any 15xx movements?"

It looks that way.  I think maybe the Chinese first thought their etaclones would be used in main line 'swiss made' watches after shooting them through a swiss based movement detailer but the 'genuine' swiss made etaclones blew them out of the water.  Now it looks like the Chinese etaclones are mostly ending up in replicas or mushrooms on eBay.  Imho the UT/Eta 6497/8 clones are the most reliable and the Venus 175 clones are not too far behind.  I have a V175 clone that still runs fine 10 years since new with no service.

"

Maybe not a look-alike clone (that may be too much to expect), but maybe a lower beat movement (21600 is Ok) that will accept genuine spec dials/hands/DW and fit into vintage rlx cases.  A GMT movement would also be very nice.

This is all I really want. It would be awesome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro