When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lume Attempt

olga

It looks ok in the light with a uniform color and consistancy. It does not look good compared to a tritec lumed hand, but that is not my fault but rather the fault of the powder. The powder is a little to green in the light and the crystal size is way to big, to the point that it is noticeable with the naked eye.

As long as you are happy with it that is all that matters, i have read that some people regrind the powder in a petstel and mortar. What did you use as i binder?

May I ask what you used to apply the powder? I am (probably foolishly) going to try a lume job using Tritec in the next few weeks but don't know what to use, and can't find an oiler, which I know is what The Zigmeister uses.

Good work, olga!

I used ReadySetGlo/GlowPaintPro powders, and they are way too coarse too. Crushing/milling them helped.

Tom, you may easily find oilers on eBay.

I've tried the mortar and pestal route, but unfortunately I was unable to get the stainless steel model and had to settle for marble. Well, when you grind the powder in the marble you end up creating some marble powder also and it makes the glow powder dirty looking.

I've tried the mortar and pestal route, but unfortunately I was unable to get the stainless steel model and had to settle for marble. Well, when you grind the powder in the marble you end up creating some marble powder also and it makes the glow powder dirty looking.

I too started with a marble mortar+pestal, and ended up with a glass bottle or jar rolling on a (thick ;)) glass plate.

I found someone else who sells a 5 - 10um powder. It is only a little more than double the cost of glow inc. powder, but pratically free when compared to tritec. So I'm going to give them a shot and see how it works out. I'll post the results and source after I've tried it.

I found someone else who sells a 5 - 10um powder.

Does "um" stand for microns?

If so, an exceptionally fine powder!

Main doubts on such a fine powder are obviously on how long its glow lasts. Let us know what you will find. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Does "um" stand for microns?

If so, an exceptionally fine powder!

Main doubts on such a fine powder are obviously on how long its glow lasts. Let us know what you will find. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I believe they are using um for microns. They offer 4 grades 40-65, 20-40, 10-15 and 5-10. Yes, the smaller the powder the less bright they glow. In this case it is about 1/3 the brightness from the coursest to finest powder. They claim the maximum amount of time that the powder is glowing to a point perceivable by the human eye is as follows:

40-65 6800 minutes

20-40 4700 minutes

10-15 3600 minutes

5-10 1800 minutes

Well, 1800 minutes are 30 hours! :o

Personally I keep doubts about it. :g:

Possibly they are referring to a perfect eye after a 30 hours accustoming in complete darkness.

And 'perceivable by the human eye' is a completely different matter from 'perceivable by the man'. Human photosensitive molecules in the retina may react to a single photon while the owner stays completely unaware about it.

Please let us know what you will find, I am very interested.