When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need advice on a gmt master 2

Mattjames84

So I found this watch and have a chance of getting it for $40. Its an auto but don't know what movement. Do you guys this would be a good jumping off point for either a gmt or sub build?

IMG_5574.JPG

IMG_5575.JPG

IMG_5576.JPG

IMG_5578.PNG

Sorry about the 4 different posts, I thought I kept missing something and then repost. Can one of the mods delete the three other posts please? Thank you

$40 is what it's worth- meaning it's a bad rep. This is what's referred to as a Canal St. rep. The dial is awful and the date font indicates it's just a Chinese movement with the date window too far to the right. The only plus I see is that the case has lugholes which could be enlarged. It's a sub case btw.

"Do you guys this would be a good jumping off point for either a gmt or sub build?"

"$40 is what it's worth- meaning it's a bad rep."

The 'goat is right.  It ain't too hot.

If it was me...I would wait until a higher quality watch comes along and save all the hassles and expense of making this one passable. 

A few examples of what was/is out there (GMT):

About 10 or 14 years ago there was a batch of sapphire 16710 GMT Masters made with genuine swiss ETA 2836 and China 24 hour conversions.  Most had the 'whs' (wrong hand stack) and the 24H hand was not adjustable but very few would notice.  They looked pretty good and would run for years with no trouble provided the movement was good to begin with.  Prices back them...around $200/$250 new.  Price today depending on condition...$250 and up used to $400/$500 for nos.  The higher grade models had hollow mid links in the bracelets etc. but most sapphire models did not have holes all the way through the lugs.  The models with adjustable 24H hands could cause problems.

This same basic watch was also made as a '1675/16750' with lug holes but the printed marker dial had 'oyster perpetual date' and it should have 'oyster perpetual'.  No one seemed to notice except RWG members Ha!  Having a 'fast beat' movement made it a better 16750 than 1675.  All the examples I saw had 6.0mm crowns (genuine was 5.3mm) and the one I still have came with a '1680' sticker on the case back when I got it along with an acrylic crystal, two way bezel, Pepsi insert, and lug holes.  It had a solid mid link oyster bracelet with regular clasp.  Close but no cigar.  Not really too bad though looking back.

About this time, the same sapphire case/dial/bracelet was also offered with a DG3804 movement and they were around $200 to $225 new but I have not seen any for sale in a long time, new or used.  The 3804 is as rugged as can be but the running reserve is usually a little bit short compared to an ETA and it is a slower beat...21600 vs the ETA 28800 (same as rolex).  The 24H hand is adjustable...turn the crown one way in the first notch and the date flips, turn it the other way and the 24H hand advances.  They do not cause problems like the early ETA with adjustable 24H hands.

Notes...

The ETA models and better DG models had metal movement spacers with case clamps and higher grade dials/bracelets.  They might have sapphire crystals, do not know for sure. 

Some of the later DG3804 models came with 7.0mm crowns because they used the same case as a submariner.  Later genuine GMT also went to a 7.0mm triplock crown but not this model.  The lower grade DG models mostly had solid link bracelets and plastic movement spacers.

So...if you can find one of the ETA 16710 models they are Ok, the 16750/1675 models not so much but they are Ok mechanically.

Submariners...U R On Your Own.  It is a mine field to say the least and I know more about reeeplica GMT models than submareeeners.   :pimp:

By-Tor put a picture of his swiss ETA GMT up a while back from an April 10, 2008 'for sale' post:

https://rwg.cc/topic/193082-some-old-rep-pics-of-mine/?tab=comments#comment-1547920&searchlight=1