When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice And Help Needed On Ebay Sale And Paypal

kye_lin

Hi guys,

I need some advice and help here.

I recently listed a collector's vintage cue on ebay. A US ebay member contacted me and asked me about shipping to her customer in Japan, who is interested in the cue. I suggested that if she purchased it from me direct, I will end the auction early and I quoted her a much higher price. No reply from her for 2 days.

The auction (3 day auction) ended this morning with no bids at all. This evening, she paypaled me the money direct and suggested me to send the cue ASAP to Japan, giving me the details of an address in Japan with a Japanese name.

So what should I do? Does this sound like a scam??

I heard that it is possible to cancel a paypal payment via the credit card company..... but I am not sure how many days after the payment is made.... Also, what if the credit card used is a fraud???

I have taken out the money out of my paypal account.... If she cancels it after I send the cue, can paypal still charge to my credit card???

I checked her ebay profile... member since 2002, active till now... last transaction in October 2006... rating of 30... all positives... no negative feedbacks at all..

I will wait till the money enters my bank account in 5-7 days and then send the cue.... Is that ok??

Any advice will be much appreciated. THanks all!!

Kai

A couple of things, first, you are completing this transaction outside of the auspices of eBay at this point, so you're probably not going to get any support from them (or possibly Paypal, which is owned by eBay) if you need it.

I would think you did the right thing by taking the money out of you PP account, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was fraud involved, that Paypal might go back and try to charge your CC. Paypal does some weird things. But I would think you could dispute it w/ your CC company.

And it might be a legitimate transaction where the buyer is making money and shipping this cue to Japan for her buyer.

And of course, you probably can't find out if the buyer did in fact pay by credit card thru Paypal. But that wouldn't stop her from disputing the charges anyway. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Hope you're not talking about a bunch of money.

Good Luck.

I am always leery of buying on behalf of someone else, and shipping it to someone other than the buyer, and also, RUSH RUSH, what is the big panic, it's a pool cue, is the Japan customer in a game and needs you cue tomorrow to play...

Smells too fishy, I am sure the "Customer" in Japan has heard of Ebay...why is he going through someone in the USA.

I would stay away from it, too many warning signs...

RG

Bewawe - I had this tried on me in 06 when selling a watch on eBay. Was contacted later by eBay that the acount was hijacked. Good luck

Hi guys,

I need some advice and help here.

I recently listed a collector's vintage cue on ebay. A US ebay member contacted me and asked me about shipping to her customer in Japan, who is interested in the cue. I suggested that if she purchased it from me direct, I will end the auction early and I quoted her a much higher price. No reply from her for 2 days.

The auction (3 day auction) ended this morning with no bids at all. This evening, she paypaled me the money direct and suggested me to send the cue ASAP to Japan, giving me the details of an address in Japan with a Japanese name.

So what should I do? Does this sound like a scam??

I heard that it is possible to cancel a paypal payment via the credit card company..... but I am not sure how many days after the payment is made.... Also, what if the credit card used is a fraud???

I have taken out the money out of my paypal account.... If she cancels it after I send the cue, can paypal still charge to my credit card???

I checked her ebay profile... member since 2002, active till now... last transaction in October 2006... rating of 30... all positives... no negative feedbacks at all..

I will wait till the money enters my bank account in 5-7 days and then send the cue.... Is that ok??

Any advice will be much appreciated. THanks all!!

Kai

Hi

It is a scam!!! Paypal contacted me and cancelled my withdrawal and took the USD2000 away... The guy's acount was hijacked.. I knew it was too good to be true... Anyway, a good lesson learnt without any loss.... Thank you to all of you guys for the advice... I knew this was a good place for help and advice... Take care and have a great weekend..

Kai

I got to this late but yes it is a very common scam (mostly used with Mobile phone purchases) not only is the ebay account hijacked but the credit card used to fund the transaction was stolen.............never agree to transact outside of the ebay umbrella.

Ken